ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS

nemasis243

Well I must say the weather over the last week has been realy hard going, if it isnt raining its been blowing its nuts off, I have been out most nights even in these conditions and have been picking up the odd 2 or 3 with a 5 on one night.

Yesterday finally had a call from a major sheep farmer in my part of the world who is just stared getting into Woodcock shooting,he has had my number for a few years but has always wanted to shy away from the lamping of foxes as he was a big man with the local hunt.

As he was out driving around the other night he spotted a fox stalking a woodcock , he watch in amazement as the fox was sliding onits belly towards the bird before finally catching it, well this was enough for him to get on the phone to me.

I have often gone pigeon shooting there so I new the lie of the land well, which was about 1500 acres in total with a lot of small valleys and bits of woodland.

The one saving grace is that he has a quarry right at the end of his land and two roads which cut right through the two main valleys, so this was a godsend to be able to drive 75% of his land.

We tend to have a 3 man team 1 driving and 2 up on the back of the landy the lamper doing the gates if need be, we had drove 100 yrds down the lane and had 2 charlies mooching about not taking any notice of us at all, shot the first one at 120yrds and the second at 220yrds a good start to the evening.

We drove round once which produced 12 foxes but all dogs and some big buggers as well.

Then on the second tour we stopped a few times and started calling we shot another 3 but these were all Vixons , really strange but it might have something to do with the dogs travelling looking for a mate that we didnt come across a vixon on the first spin round.

So it was 15 total and the best shot was 285yrds and what we saw we shot so there arnt any that got spooked by the lamp whist shooting at something else.

We have shot some big numbers at night the best being 21 but we use all sorts of bits of kit from different kinds of baits,calls and night vision kit but it was just a cracking time going to a place that had never been lamped before real virgin ground.

And the added bonus is we were on £10 a fox from the farmer and he paid for the diesel as well and he has also told me that I can have all the rabbit shooting and there was a few there to be had too.

Gonna have to get in touch with my mate 6mmBR to explain how to put some pics on the site,my shooting skills aint to bad but as for my computer skills well email is about the limit.

Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed,Andy :mellow:

Archived