40g bullets in a swift

with regards to the 22-284 a friend is currently using one to stunning effect with 80gr Berger vlds @ 3650 fps , really does need to be witnessed to be fully appreciated longest bunny thus far 825 yards. in the endless search for more :blink: he is now playing with frontal ignition and duplex loads , holy moly ! as for accuracy I witnessed a 400 yrd group of 3/4 of an inch . he has done this on two seperate occasions now , totally remarkable but backstops have never been more important ! ultimate long range fox boster it might just be a contender ! except perhaps for my 6-284 with 105 amax@ 3500 :lol: but all things being equal the 53gr vmax out of the 22-250 @ 3900 is rather good fox medicine

with regards to the 22-284 a friend is currently using one to stunning effect with 80gr Berger vlds @ 3650 fps , really does need to be witnessed to be fully appreciated longest bunny thus far 825 yards. in the endless search for more :blink: he is now playing with frontal ignition and duplex loads , holy moly ! as for accuracy I witnessed a 400 yrd group of 3/4 of an inch . he has done this on two seperate occasions now , totally remarkable but backstops have never been more important ! ultimate long range fox boster it might just be a contender ! except perhaps for my 6-284 with 105 amax@ 3500 :lol: but all things being equal the 53gr vmax out of the 22-250 @ 3900 is rather good fox medicine

Interesting,impressive,but perhaps reinventing the wheel .USA varminters have been there eg 22 Clark in 1964 (80@3500).The 6-284 will of course give 85@3600 without resort to anything fancy.Fantasise over the Banshee(257 necked 6.5x68 case,with 85@4000.)''In very good conditions,with a spotter,hits beyond 700y were possible,but not commonplace''.Says it all.But DIY is fine fun.

Agree about the 22-250,if we have to stay with 224s and be sensible.Been a good factory cartridge since 1965,and for more than 30 years before that (cf 220 Wotkyns Original Swift!!).This is BBC-(Before Balistic Coefficients)-still worked fine,though of course there have been improvements in reloading components-I wish there had been 58g 243 bullets fifty years ago.

george

The 22-284 is fernominal but has allot of forming and very short barrel life.I think if you can get the new 53gr v-max to shoot around the 4000 fps mark you really have

some thing and the standard swift might be up to it but may need a 1 in 12 twist barrel. at the moment I use a .243 shooting 58gr v-max @ 4000 FPS I've allways fancied a

220 swift but don't think I'd be gaining much over what I already use. some of the .20 cals look very good but for the longer range foxes 300 yards plus I think you need

a bit more bullet weight and that means a bigger case and more powder.

The 22-284 is fernominal but has allot of forming and very short barrel life.I think if you can get the new 53gr v-max to shoot around the 4000 fps mark you really have

some thing and the standard swift might be up to it but may need a 1 in 12 twist barrel. at the moment I use a .243 shooting 58gr v-max @ 4000 FPS I've allways fancied a

220 swift but don't think I'd be gaining much over what I already use. some of the .20 cals look very good but for the longer range foxes 300 yards plus I think you need

a bit more bullet weight and that means a bigger case and more powder.

Quite so, better performance all round, better barrel life-in fact, a 243 58g vmax at 4000! Absolutely 'simples' of course. Or something new-why not-'fashion is such a good idea that we have to change it every season'-oscar wilde, the same one that talked about the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable,so he was right on at least two out of three.

I haven't pushed my 243 (58g) to 4000fps yet,what load does this for you?

george

Just to put a spanner in the works, how about " abolters " nv foxing setup chambered in 5/35 SMc looks a great round and think its possible to get up to almost 5000fps! If you haven't already take a look at his topic under "other sporting rifles"

Interesting,impressive,but perhaps reinventing the wheel .USA varminters have been there eg 22 Clark in 1964 (80@3500).The 6-284 will of course give 85@3600 without resort to anything fancy.Fantasise over the Banshee(257 necked 6.5x68 case,with 85@4000.)''In very good conditions,with a spotter,hits beyond 700y were possible,but not commonplace''.Says it all.But DIY is fine fun.

Agree about the 22-250,if we have to stay with 224s and be sensible.Been a good factory cartridge since 1965,and for more than 30 years before that (cf 220 Wotkyns Original Swift!!).This is BBC-(Before Balistic Coefficients)-still worked fine,though of course there have been improvements in reloading components-I wish there had been 58g 243 bullets fifty years ago.

george

I had a 224 Clark. Excellent rifle but at the time, bullets were hard to get on working man's pay. Clark was laughed out of some shooting circles when he talked about the fast twist, heavy bullet .224's.~Andrew

ronny we will try and get you some pics up as soon as possible mate for your amazement :-)

joking aside those bullets are still supersonic at about 1600 yards , with regard to case forming its not that bigger deal and it's all part of the game as you well know . we also have a project in the pipeline you may find amusing , the .243 garden fencetick ! it's a 7 mm short action remmington ultra mag necked down to 6 mm ,lik woad suggests 87 vmax at 4000 fps :wacko:

Quite so, better performance all round, better barrel life-in fact, a 243 58g vmax at 4000! Absolutely 'simples' of course. Or something new-why not-'fashion is such a good idea that we have to change it every season'-oscar wilde, the same one that talked about the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable,so he was right on at least two out of three.

I haven't pushed my 243 (58g) to 4000fps yet,what load does this for you?

george

Hi George the load I use in the .243 is fully prepared lapua brass federal 210M primers 45.5gr reloader 15 and 58gr v-max seated

60 thou off lands as rifle has long throat and just a standard rem 700 varmint with 26 inch barrel but shoots the 58gr v-max into

3/8 at 100 yards and does the same with 65gr v-max, 87gr v-max,80gr sierra blitz, 90gr bergers couldn't ask more for an over the

self rifle.

Archived