Lamping Session

kip270

With the weather being so bad last night was dry when i finished work and Dan had been in touch to see if i fancied a few hours out after work (think he has got the bug now :lol: )

We got up the farm, and there was a Westerly wind and not too cold either, so we were hoping we would have a good night.

The first few field failed to produce anything, not even a rabbit ;) , but there was plenty of scent, walking past a few different spots there would be a sudden smell of fox, but we scanned the fields but nothing......The ground was really wet underfoot, but with the wind it covered our footsteps, we got to a gateway and it was really wet underfoot, with some large puddles, we got through the gateway and dan scanned the field and there at around 160 yards was a fox led down, i put my Polecat bi-pod on and led down. Because of the lie of the land i couldn't see the fox when led down so we moved a bit clser to try and get a good fireing point, but after three attempts and a few yards closer i couldn't get to a good level spot, so i sat down and used my knees. The fox was facing us so i placed the cross hairs on it's chest, controlled my breathing and squeezed off my shot. The fox slumped at my shot at around 100 yards, we picked it up and it was a Dog fox.

IMG00271.jpg

We headed back to the farm, with me having bagged the first one i took over with the lamp and now Dan was the rifleman(the smile on his face is something that no amount of money could buy ;) ) Scanning the fields as we made our way to the farm, i scanned towards the barn and bingo we spotted a pair of eye's.

The fox was moving back and forth the barn, not worried about the lamp at all, the wind was blowing from our right and taking our scent away from the fox which was a good 300 yards away, so we made our way towards it. I kept the lamp on and then we lost site of it, but i didn't bother calling as the last few time we have seen a fox and called they have run off ;) then it came into view again, and then dissapeared again behind some bales. We kept gaining ground until we had chance of a safe shot, then the chance came, dan led down and got ready for the shot, the fox was on the move, sniffing intently, then it came out into the field. There was a nice bank just behind it so a very safe shot, i asked dan if he was ready then shouted "Oi" the fox stopped in it's tracks and looked towards us,"Thwack" dan's shot found it's mark and dropped the fox on the spot at 167 yards(again a very proud dad), we collected it and it was another dog fox.

IMG00273.jpg

IMG00274.jpg

We didn't spot any other's but did hear two calling, so will be out on the weekend ;)

Good post kip and good result,bloody frustrating when you have a fox in the lamp and cant get a shot, good shooting to Dan as well

Archived