easyjets told me to b****r off

tackb

long story short ! below is the first letter i sent to easyjet after they failed to get my rifle to me in inverness and my only solution if i didn't want to miss my stag stalking that i'd had booked for months was to go and get my rifle from glasgow a 400 mile round trip!

they are now accusing me of lying which contradicts a lot of the emails that were sent back and fourth and they will not entertain any compensation, not even the £25 quid extra that i paid them to transport my 'sporting goods'

does anybody know how i should handle this now?

Below is a brief description of easyjets performance. Booking reference EK6MFJJ.

1/ having checked in extra early to allow for the paperwork to be done in plenty of time I was told to wait for someone to come and deal with my firearms , I was told to wait at desk 59 I think, the person was just leaving , after 20 mins nothing! so I asked and was told he was just leaving (again) eventually 40mins later tijhmahl (name on form is illegible and he didn’t introduce him self)arrived I knew he was looking for me because he was walking around the public asking and I quote ‘right who’s got the firearm’ I was shocked at his indiscretion to say the least ! I introduced myself and he proceeded to request that I got out my rifle in the public area at check in ! I refused but said I’d be happy to in a more discreet area like outsize baggage ? this caused him some consternation but he eventually agreed to my offer. Eventually after a while easyjet took my firearms and I was assured when I asked that they would definitely be put on the flight.

As a side note your representative called me ‘buddy’ through the entire debacle which although not a problem in itself it does come across as unprofessional .

2/ after arriving at Inverness I waited at the door where the firearms usually arrive until everyone had gone and then I was told that I have to go elsewhere now to collect them but they were unsure where but before I got any further a lady representing easyjet came and told me that my firearm and bag was not loaded onto the flight and I was to go to a desk (forgotten which one) and a representative would see me soon , 20mins later I was seen and a very nice girl in an easy jet uniform started to explain what had happened. They told me that I could get my bags on Friday which upset me as I have had this trip booked for months and I would miss my stalking thusday and Friday but would still have to pay because it was way too short notice for my agent to rearrange the booking obviously. Anyway the girl who to my detriment name I have forgotten then proceeded to try and find a solution to my problem and the best we could come up with was for me to collect the bags at Glasgow , a 400mile round trip! At 15:30 , I agreed to this having no other real option?

3/ I hired a car and drove to Glasgow where I eventually joined my bags and after some slight problems(not easy jets fault) I managed to leave and head back to inverness to collect the other members of my party , I have to say I was all but exhausted by now having got up at 0400 to get the flight and then having to do a 400 mile drive , I eventually got to my hotel at 23:00 hrs that night.

As a side note constable paul anderson was extremely professional and helpful as was his colleague whose name I didn’t catch.

4/ the return flight was trouble free and dealt with by Inverness airport staff extremely well and professionally, for example they go to a discreet office to check the serial numbers ! and at all time I was treated courteously . my only complaint is that a bright orange firearm tag is attached to the firearm case and to make it even easier for a criminal/terrorist a bright red tag is fixed to the other bag containing the ammo and ammo is written on that tag ! nice and easy for someone( a criminal/terrorist) to put them together without too much trouble !

The above is only a brief account and not comprehensive but should be sufficient for you to progress this complaint?

I feel that at the very least you should cover my costs for the days vehicle hire and fuel to go to Glasgow as well as my lost stalk thusday afternoon ? (I can supply receipts for my costs if necessary with the exception of the £6:50 parking fee I incurred at Glasgow because I was too tired and stressed to press for a receipt)

Also you should at the very least reimburse me for the extra I paid to transport a firearm if not the whole stressful episode flight and all!

This is not a comprehensive list of my costs but it’s a start! I hope you complaints procedure is better than Luton airports easyjet staff performance!

Can I also just say that at all times I complied with all your regulations regarding the carriage of sporting goods.

Please let me know your reply as soon as possible please.

Your sincerely

Russ taylor

Hi,

My commiserations, I was once refused boarding on Ryanair to Klagenfurt because I had a semi-inletted stock blank. Some of the airline policies and performance beggars belief. A lot of people who hunt with large calibre rifles are not aware that British Airways have introduced a policy of not carrying anything of 11mm calibre or larger as hold baggage.

If you wish to take your .450/.458 etc. it has to be booked-in well in advance (weeks) and charged at air cargo rates. Perhaps any 'legal eagles' reading this could advise on passengers' rights and if Russ has any legal avenues open to him,

Alan

Russ maybe the difference in staffs attitude is to be expected given that there will be more regular occurences of firearms leaving Scotland due to stalking holidays etc. I would assume than what would leave Luton.

I would be persistent and push on with your claim but not sure how far you would get. I remember a few years ago falling out with Parcelfarce as the returned Landrover steering box had a surcharge on it of £150. The insurance at the time was either £140 or £500 and not expecting to need it I just took the lesser one. The postage cost around £20 from memory. It went to claim and they sent me £140 cheque. I disputed this and told them that they had failed to provide the service so I deserved the postage cost back. They blankly stood by "you have received the maximum compensation payable under the terms and conditions of posting!"

So be aware the insurance cost has to cover the postage as well as they won't refund due to failure in their service...... what a rip off :mad:

"Anyway the girl who to my detriment name I have forgotten then proceeded to try and find a solution to my problem and the best we could come up with was for me to collect the bags at Glasgow , a 400mile round trip! At 15:30 , I agreed to this having no other real option?"

I understand your problem here but why didn't they get you a hire car or did they organise it and you paid? The girls name may become important? Was this her idea or was she actively furthering the managements policies?

Good luck.

FWIW

Instead of getting into a pointless argument with unaccountable minions, Id look at the terms of carriage that EJ operate under. You may find that although they accepted you and your baggage for travel, they have no obligation to deliver as you would (rightfully) expect.

As the old saying goes, the devil is in the detail

ATB

PS I've had a quick peruse of the EJ small print. I wouldn't hold out much hope. They, like all carriers have it sown up pretty tight.

For future use would it be better to use TNT to courier your rifle to a RFD recommended by your stalking host. You could then fly up by whatever airline you choose and collect it. Return firearm by same method.

I suppose the other way is to drive it, probably not much help if you live in Devon or the south west though.

Depending on what you were stalking you will find reds of far better quality in suffolk than in scotland, but you wont get the hills and scenery if that is a requirement of your trip!

MArk

Archived