new (SH) AI AE .308

Offroad Gary

Just thought i’d show you the picture of the first 2 groups i have shot with my recently acquired AI AE in .308 calibre, bought from Dan534 as a 1 year old proof rounds only barrel put back onto the rifle he had been using as a 47lap.

I’ve had it a few weeks now but only just managed to get out with it after getting the moderator properly fitted (long story, jackson rifles/dennis groom well done), barrel was cleaned of all muck and then 5 zeroing shots in the lamp the other night plus a 135y kill off the wing mirror (i like to blood em straight away).

I cleaned it the next morning (following the procedure a bloke at diggle told me how he did it - i belive he knows how to shoot a good group with his AI) and took it out on Saturday with my zeroing load, i’d made 25 just to run it in and have a play, 45gn varget 155 smk set at 2.8 to the tip, benchrest primer, used brass from my old r93 .308 full sized and trimmed using a lee trimmer(to lazy to set the Wilson one up).

First fouling shot went near the bull, the next 5 shots formed the group to the right, i then clicked it up and left for another 5 shot group, leaving it about 1” high.

IMG_0722.jpg

I only fired one through the chrony as i was in a stubble field and i couldn’t get it set up in line with the target and didn’t want to waste what ammo i had left, velocity was 2710 which sits the 500y zero on 40 clicks on the nightforce.

Shot with a nightforce 8-32x56 with np2r ret, harris br bipod and rear bag. moderator is the SL5 which is very effective, considering its size, now painted matt black.

IMG_0609.jpg

Not bad for a factory rifle, cant wait to start some load development.

Archived