Horizontal stringing

Dustyman

Just had my 7 mm RUM back from bedding . Vertically it's shooting probably max 1/2 inch or less at 100 but I'm getting lateral spread on it between inch to inch qtr . Don't really want to spend a lot of time testing or on load development because of the barrel life . Are there other obvious points to look for ? Appears to still be floated , not touching and trials were off the bipod with rear bag , stock didn't appear to be flexing . Thanks for any thoughts

Cheers Ian

I take it you are keeping consistent line of sight through the scope and not moving your head about between shots i.e. vignetting on left for one, center for another, right for another etc?

Was outside and was I little wind but more towards than cross wind . Shot off the bench by myself and another . I was about 1 inch string , colleague was about 1.5 inch string but both in the same vertical band of about half inch .

Was off a Harris without swivel and as far as could tell tried to get common head position .

Action screws seem tight enough but will strip tonight and inspect inside . Just thought would as and do once . Many thanks , still intrigued

Rgds

Ian

I take it that you obviously shot the rifle before bedding, and by your frustration it had shot ok previously.

What you may have is that the barrel harmonics have now been changed with either an action only bedding or a chamber supported bedding.

Or... You're so excited you've picked up a dose of W^nk£r's doom.... Slow down on the Coffee and pick up on Da Booty..... Best way I've found to calm the nerves:-)

Just had my 7 mm RUM back from bedding . Vertically it's shooting probably max 1/2 inch or less at 100 but I'm getting lateral spread on it between inch to inch qtr . Don't really want to spend a lot of time testing or on load development because of the barrel life . Are there other obvious points to look for ? Appears to still be floated , not touching and trials were off the bipod with rear bag , stock didn't appear to be flexing . Thanks for any thoughts

Cheers Ian

Ordinarily, rifle issues aside, a horizontal shot string comes as a result of inconsistent trigger release; just to look at what you are doing as well as the rifle, given you've invested in it!

Archived