dogs

Guest sako

Guest dead-eyed-duck

My 14 year-old cocker died last year and I still miss her.

She was a true 'independent', and was a sod to try and control in a beating line. However, as a rough shooting dog she was brilliant - an excellent nose, not put off by any form of cover and a good retriever on land and in water.

Your photo's brought a lump to my throat!

Don

I have had springers for the last 22 years and 3 years ago i decided to have a cocker. they are a handful compared to a springer and they are harder to train. you have to keep your eye on them at all times, but i have found they have got a brilliant character and a heart of gold.

i know what you mean about losing a dog. it's one of the hardest things and it never goes away. all you can do is remember the good (and in cocker's case, the frustrating) times!

I have had springers for the last 22 years and 3 years ago i decided to have a cocker. they are a handful compared to a springer and they are harder to train. you have to keep your eye on them at all times, but i have found they have got a brilliant character and a heart of gold.

i know what you mean about losing a dog. it's one of the hardest things and it never goes away. all you can do is remember the good (and in cocker's case, the frustrating) times!

"they are a handful compared to a springer and they are harder to train. you have to keep your eye on them at all times,"

Have to say that I have always found it the opposite way around. What I would say is that Cockers are more inclined to think their way through a days shooting where as a Springer just charges on regardless.

"but i have found they have got a brilliant character and a heart of gold."

Abso-bloody-lutely!!!!

d-e-d you did well to get a working Cocker to 14. I've never managed to get any of mine passed the age of 11. How often did you work her during the shooting season?

Archived