Just two minutes from home

charly hunter

Well got out at last, it was a last minute thing and we were only out for an hour, but just a two minute drive from my place and Shrek took me and my son onto a bit of ground that almost a joins his shoot. Well we pull up to the estate gates and the boys quietly put rifles together while I get the lamp out and attached to the roof. On driving throught the gates we see a few rabbits and David pop's his .22 out the window and thats when the buggers take off into the long stuff ;) Well David get's one after he eventually stops a few yds short of the sky line, but by this time the others have all disapeared.

Just 100yds down the drive and a tell tail pair of eyes are seen against the edge of the wood Shrek gets his rifle out the car door and within a few seconds a loud crack echos up and down the valley, followed by a loud smack as the bullet strikes the tree or hedge beside the fox. Instantly Shrek knows he has missed it, I reach for my nightforce 170 hoping to see it going across the field but the bulb blows, "blast it we'er off to a good start" says I. So I reach into the back of the truck for my old cluelite, but this one is not such a good beam. We were just about to pull away when another pair of eyes were seen just 20yds down from the last one. Shrek chambers another round takes aim and this time there was no mistaking the sound of a strike.

This was a very large dog fox in top condition, the 120grn Nosler hit the left eye and exited just behind the left ear, this fox was dead before he had hit the ground. We were now hoping for a little more luck as we went onto his estate hoping to clear up a fox or two that has been hastling his birds, although we smelt where Charley had been there was no sign of them, not to worry was a good program on at 10.30 we all wanted to see. So a quick outing was worth the trip. Oh yeah! did any of you guys watch it last night at 10.30 "Kill it, Cook it & eat it" I think it was on BBC3, it's on again to night at 10.30 and tonight they are doing a kid goat.

shreksbigboysi4.jpg

cracking charlie mate and yes the suckling pigs looked good watched the last series and that was again good its nice to see the townys reaction when they process the animal for the tabel im sure some of them think a pork chop grows in a plastic bag out there in the wild then ends up at the supermarket ;)

Good trip for the boys then nigel ;) ;)

Glad you all had a good outing and it was sure good to catch up with you again the other day nigel :D;) .............

All the best.................

RAY.............................. :D :D

Archived