A cracking night

kip270

Hi Guy's,

Well i'm glad all the xmas thing is over and things are getting back to normal, now for some serious shooting sessions over the next few months :lol:

Dan(my son) & I were supposed to be out and about last night, but the weather had different idea's but tonight was dry, so i picked him up at 7pm, i was using the .222 and Dan had the .17hmr, so Rabbits and Fox were on the hit list, that's if we actually saw any :lol:

The wind had died down compared to what it was in the a/noon, and the temp had dropped too.

We walked and scanned all the fields from the farm out to the boundary, and didn't spot a thing no Rabbits or Fox, so we were a bit dissapointed, but kept going and scanning with the lamp. Then we walked through a small copse to a gateway and got into the field, then i scanned ahead of us and spotted a fox but it was running up a small hill towards another gateway, so the shot was not on. We followed to the gateway and scanned around, but failed to see anything, so headed down a lane towards the farm, i scanned ahead of us and spooted a Fox in the field in front of us but the wind was blowing straight towards it, but we slowly made our way to a firing point, i got ready and Dan scanned the field, but the Fox was off like a shot heading to the barns, i shouted "Oi" but this time it failed to stop it. We stood our ground and slowly scanned around the farm, then spotted a set of eyes, it was heading away from the farm to our right, we had to backtrack so i could get into a good FP. We got to a good spot and i settled down for the shot shooting from a small bank, the Fox was intent on it's track, so i shouted "Oi", it stopped broadside and looked at us, my cross-hairs were on it's chest and i squeezed off my shot "Thwack" i saw it drop on the spot then the sound of a good hit, 239 yards, i was very pleased with the shot. We headed down to pick it up, a nice Vixen.

DSC00003.jpg

We were both chuffed with the result, so picked up the fox to dispose of it, we headed towards a wood where the farmer has a large tip, and were chatting about the shot, i then turned round and scanned the barns again and sotted another set of eyes :o:o maybe this was a Dog Fox on the trail of the vixen i just shot ;)

Now Dan has never shot a Fox with a rifle, he has had one with a shotgun, and i have taken him out with the .22rim the .17hmr and the .222 and my .270 on paper and he shown himself to be a good rifle shot.

I asked him if he was confident to take this one with the .222 and he said "Yes", so we moved into a better position for him to take the shot, i put the stoney point bi-pod on and he got into position, the Fox was close to the barns so not a good place for a shot, so i told Dan to wait until the Fox came out into the field and gave him a safe shot. It was sniffing around where the first Fox was, then headed out into the field, Dan was controlling his breathing, then the Fox stopped "thwack" dan squeezed off his shot and the Fox dropped at his shot, a cracking shot at 161 yards :lol: and another Vixen ;), i would of put money on it being a Dog fox, but i was wrong :lol:

dsc00005.jpg

I was so proud of him, he took his time to make sure his shot was true, and this being his first Fox with the rifle, and now he has got the bug big time :D

dsc00006.jpg

Both Foxes were taken within 10mins of each other

We walked another two fields but didn't see anything, and then it started to rain, so we called it a night.

A great way to start 2008, and a very proud DAD to boot ;)

Archived