6.5x55 barrel length

jimmy milnes

hi all,

currently i shoot a 25/06 tikka t3 for my stalking rifle/foxing/lr varminting rifle, but as im having a custom build 22/250 made to be my varmint rifle im contemplating having the 25 rebarreled in 6.5x55 for an out and out stalking gun, due to the round giving little meat damage compaired to the 25. now the main question is how short can you go with the barrel on the 6.5x55 before you affect the accuracy or legality of the rifle as i fancy a short stubby rifle to aid balance and handling in woodland etc

cheer guys

jimmy

I think my vit book uses a 16" barrel for there 6.5x55 data ? I'll check if it's deer legal later and I wouldn't worry about accuracy I've always found shorter barrels to shoot really well.

Jimmy.

Do you shoot England or Scotland?

I ask because if you intend using 140 Grain Bullets you may struggle for 2450fps with a short Barrel.

You could try a Bullet of stouter Construction in you 25 and save the cash?

But then again you may just fancy a change and i cant argue with that, i do it all the time :) .

Nick.

Jimmy.

Do you shoot England or Scotland?

I ask because if you intend using 140 Grain Bullets you may struggle for 2450fps with a short Barrel.

You could try a Bullet of stouter Construction in you 25 and save the cash?

But then again you may just fancy a change and i cant argue with that, i do it all the time :) .

Nick.

cheers nick,

think ya got my drift there, the main of my stalking is within an hour of me so in england but do get the odd invite from a friend north of the border so could be an issue. currently im using 117 gr and they dont go far when one of them hits them but you do seen to get a lot of hydro with them so that was what was leading me to think of a swap

cheers

jimmy

I think my vit book uses a 16" barrel for there 6.5x55 data ? I'll check if it's deer legal later and I wouldn't worry about accuracy I've always found shorter barrels to shoot really well.

hi tackb

just had alook in my vit book and it says 26 1/2 with a 1 in 8 1/2 twist

cheers

jimmy

Your right it's the 260 that has the short barrel , however my lyman (47) has data for an 18" barrel and H380 with a 140 hits 2600 so I say go for it !

cheers nick,

think ya got my drift there, the main of my stalking is within an hour of me so in england but do get the odd invite from a friend north of the border so could be an issue. currently im using 117 gr and they dont go far when one of them hits them but you do seen to get a lot of hydro with them so that was what was leading me to think of a swap

cheers

jimmy

Would you be Handloading or using Factory in the 6.5x55 Jimmy?

Nick.

come on nick, one yorkshire man to another !!!! haha id be hand loading pal, although id prob shoot it in with privis for extra tightness, why do ya ask ?

Fair enough Jimmy, one yorkshireman to another i suppose it was a silly question :lol: .

I asked as some ot the Factory Ammo and particulary the American stuff can be very `anaemic`. Handloading will allow you to make the most of the Cartridge whilst still working within safe pressures.

Maybe one of the Lads on the Forum could run some loads through Exbal giving short Barrel lengths so you have an idea?

Nick.

Someone i shoot with has a very nice R93 in 6.5 x 55 cut back the length of a jet z, so about 17" i rekon, shoots like a pitching wedge and dont come out much, great in the woods but if the deer are in the fields its a problem. I'd keep the 25-06. Just my opinion. You need to damage them to kill them. I run my 25-06 at 3000 fps and damage is acceptable. 100 gn ballistic tip.

Archived