Minox ZA 5 6-30x56

NICK

Minox ZA5 6-30X56.

Just noticed this scope on 6BR.COM

Seems to be a lot of scope for the money and may be a good long range target come varmint scope?

Parts made in Germany and assembled in USA and using Schott Glass Lenses.

optical-systems.co.uk are knocking them out at £636 plus postage..

Are Minox scopes any good?

Opinions would be most welcome please.

Nick

Minox ZA5 6-30X56.

Just noticed this scope on 6BR.COM

Seems to be a lot of scope for the money and may be a good long range target come varmint scope?

Parts made in Germany and assembled in USA and using Schott Glass Lenses.

optical-systems.co.uk are knocking them out at £636 plus postage..

Are Minox scopes any good?

Opinions would be most welcome please.

Nick

I too saw that announcement on 6mmBR.com - nice spec scope for the money. The copy seemed to be marketing stuff straight from Minox though.... I have the ZA-5 4-20x50, which I bought used from someone here. My initial impressions were favourable: it's nicely finished, well put together, gives an excellent sight picture - that glass is very good indeed. I like the BDC reticle too, fine but not too fussy. I imagine this scope was the Minox answer to the Zeiss Conquest, i.e. a German designed scope, with German glass, but put together in the USA to save money, with American varmint hunters in mind. So I was confident that it would suit my purpose, attached to my 20Tac.

I was concerned by one aspect: there is a small amount of play in the turret movement, amounting to an initial half-click or so, which I thought inappropriate in a scope from a respected German optical name. I had a long chat with a very helpful guy at Minox UK, who candidly agreed that this seemed to be a common feature of the Minox scopes he'd seen. It's not helped by a clumsy system of zero setting, with the turret's outer shell (the bit with the click gradations) being locked to the inner actuating stub by means of three tiny hex-socket grubscrews. I prefer a splined system whereby the outer just lifts off then is locked in place by one top-centre machine screw.

But I established my own way of setting zero to avoid the half-click play ( I click down below zero, then back up a bit to zero each time) and got used to it. I found the scope kept its setting very well; then not long after first acquiring it, I took it to Canada where it had a sustained workout on groundhogs out to 570 yards. Overall I am very pleased, and think it represents good value, especially since mine was between £400 and £500 s/h - one would not buy much of a scope new at that price. I'd prefer if the front end was threaded for a lens hood - but the coatings are superior so flare isn't much of a problem.

Even at the relatively inflated price one can expect this new Minox to sell for when it's released in UK, I think it's good vlaue and well worth considering.

Regards, Tony

ps Re Alycidon's comment on cameras, many years ago I was in the photographic trade and I recall those sub-min Minox "spy" cameras - fun of sorts, though the tiny neg was useless for enlargement to any sort of quality! A few eccentrics played around with them... Ah, just remembered in the early '70s there was a rather good very compact Minox 35mm folding camera, excellent lens.

Geoff, Tony.

Thank you for the replies.

It would seem this scope may be worth a punt. With an equivelent Leupold costing the thick end of a Grand it looks very attractive.

Tony.

Does the eye relief on your Minox alter as you change magnification? My VX111s do and its a real pain.

Thanks again Gents.

PS.

Most excellent report you wrote about your Canadian Varmint Hunt Tony.

Nick.

Well I would want a good look through one before parting with my hard earned. There are a few nice cheap used Ziess and Swaro scopes about , I have had a VX3 and did not like it much, fine in good light but crap in anything less than center beam at night.

A

Well I would want a good look through one before parting with my hard earned. There are a few nice cheap used Ziess and Swaro scopes about , I have had a VX3 and did not like it much, fine in good light but crap in anything less than center beam at night.

A

I have 2 vx3 and they are a good daytime vermin come target scope but i agree they are terrible at night. Leupold are now in my opinion too expensive for what they are. £1000 for a 8.5x25x50!!!!!!

Thats why the Minox caught my eye but as with all tings it would need a coat of looking at before parting with cash.

Nick.

Archived