Sako m591 varmint .308

Hi guys, I've just got myself said rifle, can anyone give me any pointers as where I can get stuff ? I'm after a 'tactical' type stock that will allow me to run box mags, a piccatinny rail and am going to need optics, all on a budget too. It's main use is going to be sub 600m with 20% at 1000 too, I know it's not going to be as easy to 'jazz up' as a remy, but I like to be a little different.

Ideas below please :)

You picked the wrong rifle to do up "on a budget"

Mcmillan stocks are only going to be available for this action as a special order, and £450 upwards price tag,plus they don't really do a tactical stock suitable for the old Sakos. You may be able to get one of the UK based stock makers to lash something together, but again its not going to exactly be cheap.

Box mag system, forget it without a lot of tinkering and cost.

Rail will likely have to be a one-off which is again not cheap.

I have a hand me down L579 that I did up for myself.

Took me two years to get finished. It was most awkward to

fit an AICS mag system. Result is very good but I would not

do another. Old actions are not as reliable as new ones anyway.

Springs wear out and break...in the wrong moment...

edi

Thanks for your input so far, when I say 'on a budget' I was meaning optic wise more than anything else, as for the tac stock, what im thinking, is getting some 'skins' from an aw, or viperskins, and building my own chassis (and mags if need be). I'm a time served tinsmith and used to fabricate lots of 'interesting' parts for touring cars, so pretty handy at metalwork. I also have plenty of free time during the day in the job I'm in now to 'tinker' and fiddle about. Ultimately, I'd go out and buy a TRG or similar, but what I lack in money, I make up in time, thoughtfulness, and being stubborn enough to make it work :) wish me luck :)

Thanks for your input so far, when I say 'on a budget' I was meaning optic wise more than anything else, as for the tac stock, what im thinking, is getting some 'skins' from an aw, or viperskins, and building my own chassis (and mags if need be). I'm a time served tinsmith and used to fabricate lots of 'interesting' parts for touring cars, so pretty handy at metalwork. I also have plenty of free time during the day in the job I'm in now to 'tinker' and fiddle about. Ultimately, I'd go out and buy a TRG or similar, but what I lack in money, I make up in time, thoughtfulness, and being stubborn enough to make it work :) wish me luck :)

Nice attitude swamp donkey,i'm sure you will have it up and running in no time.Good luck :D

dave

Archived