thinking of getting a pair of zeiss rf binos just not sure which model most of my shooting is either early morning or evening into dusk i was thinking about the 8x45 or the 8x56 any advice would be welcome

atb mike

thinking of getting a pair of zeiss rf binos just not sure which model most of my shooting is either early morning or evening into dusk i was thinking about the 8x45 or the 8x56 any advice would be welcome

atb mike

I use 10x45.

I chose that power because I spend time on the hill. The 10 power works just as well at the times of day you mention...so the 8x45 will be just the ticket without the extra bulk.

ATB

atb mike

My shooting pattern is exactly the same, which is why I've used a binocular in 8x56 for quite a few years now for maximum light-gathering power. It's a Steiner, only medium quality but good enough, rubber armoured and well designed. I would probably be just as happy with a good 7x50, and as i've written here before, the most impressive I ever tried was a Fujinon FMTRSX 7x50. AFAIK there is no combo r/f-binocular in 7x50 but Leica offer the Geovid in 8x56 and Zeiss do theirs as well. I carry a separate Leica LRF 1200 r/finder.

I hear what achosenman says about his 10x binocular on the hill, but after a long time of using optics I am firmly convinced that for the average user 10X is just that little bit too difficult to hold dead steady. And unless a binocular is steady, any inherent optical quality it has is wasted since you are not viewing your subject properly. IME 7x or 8x is plenty for spotting even small targets at several hundred yards, if you scan slowly and carefully - which is what spotting for varmint hunting is all about anyway.

When I feel rich enough I'll do the same as you and get the Zeiss r/f-bino in 8x56 - I believe most objective reviews give it the edge over the Leica. Sure, it's a big and heavy spec, but that's optically inevitable with an instrument designed for seeing things in dim light.

Tony

i took onboard what you were saying tony and picked a pair of zeiss 8x56 up today they are absolutely the dogs nuts im well impressed :) atb mike

Congratulations Mike - I'm envious! But it's exactly the same one that I'll get when I can afford it. Incidentally, apropos binocular magnification, I didn't take my big, heavy Steiner 8x56 to Canada, to save weight; I borrowed a cheap spare from my hunting companion, a Bushnell (I think) 7x35, and although we were spotting/shooting mostly in bright sunshine, 7x was perfectly adequate for spotting groundhogs out to 700-800 yards even when looking into shady spots.

Regards, Tony

Archived