Some great shooting with even better company.

charly hunter

The last few times I have been out shooting has been such great trips, I don't mean for the amount of things shot but just the scenery and company I have been with and on top of that the unexpected sights also.

Boxing day was a late one for me this year as I was now well on Xmas day and it took a while to get going Boxing day morning, by the time I got my ass in gear we were heading out the door at about 12.00hrs. Not that that mattered any as it was a lovely day to be out in the countryside. We didn't see more than 6 woodcock all afternoon but that was made up by the 3 roe deer we saw, where I have never seen them before, and I have been shooting this ground for quite a few years now. So what a bonus that was.

New years eve and I take my mate Shrek and my son out lamping, it was a very warm night, well it hasn't been cold hardly at all this winter so far, I had just a T shirt and a quilted shirt on, no need for a coat. David shot well head shooting all but one rabbit, including 2 out to 100yds, give or take a few yds. Shrek had this vixen at just 40 - 45 yds with his 6.5 x 55 this fox just lay in the grass and wouldn't move so the only bit he could see was the top of her head, but I guess that don't matter at this range with that rifle ;)

shreks40yarderyv3.jpg

Just as we were heading back I decided to call in one last place where Shrek had to rest on a farm implement to shoot a fox at 150yds, we had to wait a bit for this one to get in a safe place as he was interested in the vixen that was with him, there was no way that a call was going to do any good here, so a few minutes pasted and the fox had an 8 foot hedge behind it so I gave Shrek the OK to shoot. A loud bang followed by a loud thwack was then followed by the fox being thrown 3 feet into the air and an unearthly screaming from the fox. this one was not found, so the next morning I spent 1 -2 hrs looking for it but to no avail :( big shame but unfortunately these things do happen.

Today, my son, Doug, Jamie & I went out for a wonder with the shotguns and the dogs, it was a raw easterly wind but that was not going to bother us one bit. We saw loads of mallard and teal, several woodcock & pigeons. Doug had a left and right at some pigeons, we all missed the woodcock. I had a rabbit and the last bit of woodland we did I had two cracking shots, one magpie and one pigeon, right through a thick canopy of branches and twigs :o These two made my day, god I wish I could shoot like this more often, come beaters day I will be shooting like a blind man ;)

What a great couple of days, no great numbers but wonderful company and plenty of p**s taking, and to see the dogs working so well is always good fun.#

Jamie thanks for a great day out pard, I have had a ball :);)

Hey guys I had a blast and the words I have put here are not enough really but I'm sure you get the picture. Yesterday was a good way to start the new year, let's hope it's the start of great things to come for all of us that enjoy the sportv :rolleyes:

Millpool, if you looked that bad on new years day you'd best stay in France pard, hell I want to shoot foxes dead not kill em' by fright :( As for the venison it was smoked and then stuffed with a whiskey shuffing and now it's in the freezer ;) Gosh I have seen enough food over the holidays, I can't face any more just yet :P

It was almost to still here FS, I'd prefer a little wind really, but beggers can't be choosers :rolleyes: The one that got away was a bummer but the noise of it being hit I'm surprised it ran anywhere, the grass is short in the field where it was shot so I had a good look around and there was no sign of any blood or fur so I guess there was no exit wound, but just over the hedge is a old quarry and you know how farmers fill them up so it might have crawled away in there. Bit of a sod as I like to find them and make sure they are not suffering.

Archived