Switch Barrel

It certainly is but if your switching long action calibres to short action calibre your going to have feed issues. If you were sticking with a short action and switching from say .308 to .260, .243 etc you'd be fine but running short action calibres in a long action then your heading for problems.

you could run 25-06 and 260 if you used a Long Action AICS mag system, centre feeding so not to many issues there, 25-06 would be fine, and .260 is not that dissimilar to 6.5x284 which also feeds fine from this mag.

you could run 25-06 and 260 if you used a Long Action AICS mag system, centre feeding so not to many issues there, 25-06 would be fine, and .260 is not that dissimilar to 6.5x284 which also feeds fine from this mag.

I forgot to say that I only intend to single feed off a blanked action so it will only be a matter of dropping 1 round in at a time.

How much work is involved??

The simple solution is just to have an action fitted with 2 barrels, then use a barrel vice and action wrench to install barrels using witness marks or a torque wrench. It gets trickier if you want to change the barrel whilst the action is still in the stock. More costly as you will need the cost of fitting and proofing 2 barrels and the kit required to interchange, but its not a difficult request.

The vital ingredient is a pinned recoil lug.Its then very simple. I,ve built switch barrels on fixed lug [eg surgeon ] and also pinned lug [ valkyrie and lawton ] and both have worked equally well.

The vital ingredient is a pinned recoil lug.Its then very simple. I,ve built switch barrels on fixed lug [eg surgeon ] and also pinned lug [ valkyrie and lawton ] and both have worked equally well.

Dave pardon my ignorance but by pinned recoil lug does that mean pinned back to the action?

So that it is out of the way when switching ?

You pin it to the action face, yes Gaz. This means you never have the problem of it not going back in exactly the same place, which would be a nightmare if the gun was bedded.

Archived