Gents.

I intend fitting a Pachmayr recoil pad to a Factory Rem BDL Wood stock to replace the standard plastic one. Its a bit of a project i have started and having stripped it of the Polyurethane shiny finish i need to fit a Pad. I notice they offer different heights and widths of Pad.

Which size should i get for this stock please?

Never done this before so forgive me if it seems a silly question.:blush:

Many Thanks.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Pachmayr do pre-fit pads for a variety of stocks including the Rem. M700. Get a copy of their catalogue (importers Edgar Bros.) or browse online. There is also a useful guide to sizeing that helps to avoid grinding into the internal reinforcing plate,

Cheers

Alan

Dan, Allen

Many thanks for the pointers.

Will go for an 01325 one. .8" thick, should be ok for a 25-06.

Any suggestions as to how to finish the black plastic forend tip and grip cap? The wood stock will be sanded smooth and oiled but the plastic is very dull and marked from the removal of the polyurethane. If i sand it smooth will it come up nice on a buffing wheel?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

Nick.

Gents.

I intend fitting a Pachmayr recoil pad to a Factory Rem BDL Wood stock to replace the standard plastic one. Its a bit of a project i have started and having stripped it of the Polyurethane shiny finish i need to fit a Pad. I notice they offer different heights and widths of Pad.

Which size should i get for this stock please?

Never done this before so forgive me if it seems a silly question.:blush:

Many Thanks.

Nick.

Apologies Nick,

From your post I assumed that you actually wanted to grind the pad yourself, hence my info.

Hi Nick,

For refinishing the forend tip and grip cap use silicon carbide wet and dry sheets. Start at approx 500 or 600 grit and work your way to 1000 or 1200. Use cork blocks as formers to avoid rounding off corners and lubricate with raw linseed or red oil (linseed with alkanet root). Buff to a shine using rottenstone (a very fine form of pumice) on a soft cloth with a little linseed. Any problems or queries please PM me,

Cheers

Alan

Dan

Absolutely no need for an apology. I was thinking down the lines of grind my own but will look at a pre fit. Thats what happens when i waffle in a thread about a subject i know nothing about. My apologies to you.

Alan

Thank you, i may take you up on that offer. Nice to see a Gunsmith willing to pass on a few tips.

Many thanks.

Nick.

Gents.

Who sells the Pachmeyrs? Fox has none and Midway are very limited. Where can i get one mail order in UK?

Thanks.

Nick.

What size do you want I have 1/2 inch medium and 1 inch meduim and large.

Archived