Great shooting few days with Rabbit Fingers and Rich

Si-Snipe

A pre-booked few days of rifle action on my moorland shoot and accommodation at my parents caravan was arranged a couple of months ago for myself, Rabbit Fingers and Alan (Sir-Slots). Al was unfortunately unable to make it due to 2 disastrous results with his freshly re-barreled rifles. Rich was able to make the first afternoon, night and next days shooting.

I wanted to use the new McMillan A5 from Rabbit Fingers so I was working on it from 3.45pm Fri to 3.45am Sat morning getting all the inletting done and action fully bedded in time to set and load test as the load also needed work as it had gone off. I sorted the last of the sanding and inletting in stock on the Sat afternoon and was out load testing on the Sun and got a pleasing result and made up all the cases I had (120) with the best load ready for the Mon afternoon. talk about in the nick of time!!!!

Mid afternoon on Mon I arrived at the van and met up (for the first time) with John (Rabbit Fingers) and my good friend Rich. We went through a frenzied sequence of shooting and ballistic information downloading armed only with a coffee each.

After we had fried each others brains with ballistic info we decided to get down to business so we packed my Hilux and Rich's Lexus and headed for the moors. I want to tell you exactly what happened on that first nights shooting but all of the days blurred into one! As far as I can recall we went to a place Rich and I named 'half way base camp' and John checked his zero at range on a couple of stones and then seeing the consistency he set about the rabbits. I was very impressed with his shooting as I watched him shoot rabbits consecutively at 550, 600, 650 and then 680 yards. At this point I didn't dare shoot my rifle. :o:D

Meanwhile Rich was clearing up rabbits in the distance using his 17 FB. John and I burst into laughter when we heard 7 shots on the trot within a minute as Rich mopped up the rabbits on a distant hillside in vermin control fury. :lol:

John's load was developed in a very short time as he got the rifle re-barreled about 5 secs before he was due to set off to meet me. :lol: In reality I believe he had a week to sort it and a good job he made of it. Going through the OCW method of load development he settled on an OCW of 39.7g H4350 behind the 140 Amax through his monstrous 30" Bartlein 1:8 gain twist barrel. Being a very mild load at 2700 f/s made no noticeable difference to his long range performance on the rabbits.

I was settling in with my newly bedded rifle/stock (A5) and re-vamped load with the 123 Amax. I had some success on the fist afternoon but not as much as John.

We retired to the caravan when the light began to fade to gorge ourselves on Bourbon and food. ;)

The next day we arrived at the shoot early afternoon after a 4.00am bedtime. We had to wait until our heads were clear so that we could operate the rifles safely and of course shoot well. The chosen spot was Base camp where John could stretch his new load out in the field and check performance and consistency. It did not let him down and after a few sighting shots he nobbled a 992 yard rabbit with the 140 Amax and 2 more over early 900's including quite a few more over 800 yards. Plenty were shot at 500 yards too. I streched my load out with John spotting though the naval binos :D and after 2 sighting shots to confirm drop I smashed over a rabbit at 936 yards.

Rich had to leave us around tea time and John and I set off back to the van at just before dark. We didn't take much notice of the time as we had no constraints.

More Bourbon and ballistic talk and we awoke for the final days shooting. Arriving at 'half way Base camp' I was keen to get some serious consistency after a few disappointing shots the day before. The wind was stronger on this day at around 22mph. I was pleased with a good number of first shot hits at 600 yards plus and some precise follow up correction shots at 700 yards showing the loads solid repeat-ability at ranges out to 720 yards. With winds at that strength very little speed deviation is required for bullet to drift and also elevation shifts to be experienced as it blows up or down the valleys according to the direction and topography before and below the bullet. This makes the shots even more satisfying.

We moved spots as the light interfered with out vision and the sun began to set. John nobbled some nice rabbits out to 800 yards on a distant bank and he finished off with a 400 yard head shot. I finished off the session in the fading light by using up some 120g Nosler/RL17 loads kindly given to me by Rich to nuke 5 rabbits at 350-400 yards with the last mag of the day. Always a good way to end.

John had arrived at the shoot with 300 rounds on day 1 and I think he left with 240? Is that correct mate?

Lovely to meet up with the guys and to meet Rabbit fingers (John) for the first time. He is a very knowledgeable guy with excellent shooting skills and a focused interest in the pursuit of better accuracy. He also is a very easy going and friendly guy and I'm looking forward to the next shoot with him hopefully in the summer hols. A session I will never forget with many fond memories in the bank.

Si

Guest richness

Yeah it was heaven - three mad keen ballistic long range precision rifle nuts all exchanging data at high bandwidth! And that was before we had a whisky drink ;)

Rabbit fingers is a class shot, a methodical, precise, safe and consistent marksman. And a right giggle. Anyone who understands my consistent and urgent need to ruthlessly take the mickey out of Simon is cool in my book ;)

One lasting impression is that you all end up doing things in a similar manner but there are little things you pick up from each other. For example, I loved his Kestrel windmeter clamp that rotates on a tripod with a vane attached so that you can see the wind change - I've got one on the way for review at sharpshootinguk as we speak. A quick glance out of the corner of your eye and you can see minute changes in the wind angle...love it

Shame about sir slots but i'm glad he's got a proper smith on the job now and looks to be making headway again.

From my point of view, i only had my fireball and my 204r so i wasn't really in the mix with the long range shooting (bring on the 284!) but I did rank up a massive killstreak with the fireball between 150 and 300y which was fun and then the 204 got me a couple of nice 400y+ rabbits so that was cool.

Kit-wise, it was very interesting to compare Si's Leica, Rabbitfinger's Swaro and my Zeiss rangefinders. Also, Si's Sightron s3 tactical was right up there with my big 4-28 IOR and John's S&B 5-25

Best thing of all was John's comedy binos though - they were tripod mounted and looked like cartoon binos - must have been 6" wide each and 2foot long :D

sounds like a awsome few days guys!:-)

be amazing to have the land & buny population you have there si!

its always the same on my ground if theres bunnys they are not safe for CF rifles!

and crows drive me to drink around here lol

lets have some pics posted of kit & terain if you have any:-)

cheers Andy

Was an awesome few days. It was great meeting you guys and the info exchange was intense. As if the excellent company wasn't enough, the ground was the best I've ever had the fortune to shoot over. Varminting heaven. Thanks guys:-D I can't wait for the next one. I'll post some pics later

Here are a few pictures of the venue but not from that session and a picture of my rifle. It may help to grasp the topography and shot angles etc.

Half way Base Camp:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u41/big-sigh/B69AA55A.jpg

Half way Base Camp with my 6.5x47 in the original AI stock (its now in an A5) with range labels

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u41/big-sigh/CB6FCB0A.jpg

My 6.5x47 in newly bedded A5:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u41/big-sigh/FE0AFFC2.jpg

very very nice si

that vantage point is awsome!!!!!

i have some land that looks like that minus the bunnys!:-(

how u finding the scope?

I gota get some proper covers & give it another good test altho that may not be untill rifle is built!

ive just gota decide weather theres a place for my 308 parker hale M84 still in my cabnet!!!

cheers Andy

very very nice si

that vantage point is awsome!!!!!

i have some land that looks like that minus the bunnys!:-(

how u finding the scope?

I gota get some proper covers & give it another good test altho that may not be untill rifle is built!

ive just gota decide weather theres a place for my 308 parker hale M84 still in my cabnet!!!

cheers Andy

Hi Andy

I love that SIII! I have one on the 17 Rem too. Top glass without the price tag IMO. Myself, Rich and Rabbit Fingers were comparing it to the S&B 5-25 that Rabbit Fingers (John) had and with Rich's 4-28 IOR. I personally could only see subtle differences even at longer ranges and no negatives over the other 2 IMO. I'm sure John and Rich will add to this with their opinions but I'm not going anywhere with mine as there is no obvious benefit.

Hi Andy

I love that SIII! I have one on the 17 Rem too. Top glass without the price tag IMO. Myself, Rich and Rabbit Fingers were comparing it to the S&B 5-25 that Rabbit Fingers (John) had and with Rich's 4-28 IOR. I personally could only see subtle differences even at longer ranges and no negatives over the other 2 IMO. I'm sure John and Rich will add to this with their opinions but I'm not going anywhere with mine as there is no obvious benefit.

Hi si

on the 6-24 how are u finding the dot size?

are the 2moa spacing proving usefull at all?

i like my ziess more but to be fair im used to them its the look of it that puts me off most lol that and the turrets seem a bit wishy washy but they seem to track fine!

a couple of mates have recently got pm2s but to be fair i find the turrets a bit fine & easy to click/read wrong & i cant see that happening with the s3

cheers Andy

Hi si

on the 6-24 how are u finding the dot size?

are the 2moa spacing proving usefull at all?

i like my ziess more but to be fair im used to them its the look of it that puts me off most lol that and the turrets seem a bit wishy washy but they seem to track fine!

a couple of mates have recently got pm2s but to be fair i find the turrets a bit fine & easy to click/read wrong & i cant see that happening with the s3

cheers Andy

Centre dot is just right for precise bullet placement at longer ranges. On 32X the spacing's are 1.5MOA and on 24X they are 2MOA. Very useful for shooting/holding off etc and for spotting and calling corrections. I shoot foxes under the lamp with the 6-24 on the 17 and have no issues.

The bins. 25x100. 6.5lapua case for scale on top. They are about the best thing I've found for spotting. Great fov and more restful to use both eyes instead of one with a spotting scope. Not very portable though:-D

20120608_195636.jpg

20120608_195630.jpg

The bins. 25x100. 6.5lapua case for scale on top. They are about the best thing I've found for spotting. Great fov and more restful to use both eyes instead of one with a spotting scope. Not very portable though:-D

20120608_195636.jpg

20120608_195630.jpg

In all honesty I feel the same. Much preferred looking through them to the monocular. Both eyes were fully rested - something I do not get with the single eye piece. The FOV was huge and the glass was good. Nothing not to like for a set-up-and-shoot style of use.

In all honesty I feel the same. Much preferred looking through them to the monocular. Both eyes were fully rested - something I do not get with the single eye piece. The FOV was huge and the glass was good. Nothing not to like for a set-up-and-shoot style of use.

YOU didn't need them. Should rename you hawk eye. I've never seen anyone pick out a rabbit at 1000 with naked eye before. :blink::lol: 'Look with your eyes' he says :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest richness

i would also like to add the binos are the "biz"

Yeah and they are so portable too. Weighing only 19kg, you can barely feel them around your neck

• 3 months later...

Archived