Cleaning methods part deux

After Finmans post last week he got me thinking was my way of cleaning right as it was quite simple compared too his 2 step approach. So here is what I did tonite. I fired 30 rounds.

The first 10 patches you see in the photo are from my normal routine, which is 5 patches soaked in plain old montana extreme bore solvent and then 5 dry patches, as you can see the patches look clean by the end, this is usally how I clean, I know it to leave a little bit of carbon but I found this helped the first clean shot stay in the group which is important to me. There are also tiny specs of cooper fouling on the second and fourth patches but they are very hard to see in the photos.

STP61006.jpg

The next 10 patches you see are from a carbon specific cleaner called mpro7, I tried this stuff on the advice of Ronin and found it to be a very good carbon cleaner. As you can see the first patch as I expected had some carbon (as mentioned my normal routine does leave a hint of carbon), the second patch had only a hint. Afetr the second patch I done something I normally dont and that was I used a brush, I gave 5 storkes and let it sit for a while, the first patch after it revealed no carbon as did the next 2 so I was happy that there was no carbon. At the end of the 5 dry patches the patches were spotless.

Next up was a big stuff, montana extreme cooper killer this is the strongest stuff I own and it is damm strong, it instantly turns a jag black when it touches it. Anyhow I again did 2 wet patches and brushed 5 times none of this revealed any cooper what so ever, the patch after brushing is slightly blue but this is due to the jag reaction as a real cooper reading is much darker in colour, you know when its cooper on the patch. The 5 dry patches also came out completely dry and clean.

For the last I put 3 patches of Montana extreme bore conditioner down it and again they were clean as you would expect, I really like thsi bore oil it is very good at sticking to metal, if you get it on something it doesnt matter how hard you rub it the surface still remains very slick. Maybe it stops the barrel from fouling badly, I dont know.

Also some of those red spots you see are from the patch touching the threads on the end of the barrel as the threads are always plastered in grease (dont want to be picking up my threads)

I think this little test proves a few things to me

1.firstly my method is pretty much spot on for my barrel

2.pac-nor 3 groove barrels are very easy cleaned and light foulers

3. mpro 7 carbon cutter is a good product

4. In my opinion you dont need a carbon spcific cleaner and a general cleaner in a good barrel should be enough

5. brushing is not required in my barrel

here are the products I used in order from left to right

STP61002.jpg

also in all cleaning sequences 5 wet patches were used followed by 5 dry and each product was allowed to soak for a few minutes after the third wet patch.

Happy christmas everyone

If I had any 325WSM I would, never even seen the stuff. Dont mean to sound stupid but what is the elcotrode of the bore, thats a term I have never heard.

Thanks

Thanks Martin, I dont think I will bother trying that one, I have gone far enough I think, I am sure it would find some more dirt somewhere but I think I am doing the job well enough.

Guest 308Panther

I dont blame ya CB.

It looks an awful lot like a cattle prod.

Law and Order: Special Vitims Unit

just ran the episode on what some sickos do with a cattle prod.

Amazing what your reduced to watch when there are 75 channels and nothin on.

Insomnia Sucks.

308Panther

"Law and Order: Special Vitims Unit

just ran the episode on what some sickos do with a cattle prod." :lol:

I take it your not a good sleeper either Panther, I wont go to bed until 2am and I will be back up at 6am looking out the window waiting for first light, looking forward to boxing shoot as well, hopefully bag a few pheasants with the 12 bore.

Guest 308Panther

I get about 5 hrs or so...

And I am incapable of speech till the first

cup of coffee.

In that episode gals would scout the bars and

spike the drinks with GHB or somethin similiar,

rendering the vic unconscious...

Presto Zappo to a certain area and its instant DNA collection.

Gave me nightmares for weeks....It was a rerun this time..so I watched

infomercials.

Like the movie Fatal Attraction wasnt bad enough.

I didnt date for 6 months after that movie came out.

Glenn Close plays a very twisted character.....Rent it sometime.

308Panther

Archived