Dog Fox on a beautiful night.

craigyboy

Got to the mates farm last nite, this is the only time I have a lamp man these days, its bloody nice to have someone to carry the lamp and batterys for a change. the last 2 visits to this farm had produced not even a hint of a fox so I wasnt very optimistic last night and with the moon high and bright and the night so still I thought our luck was out but it was such a lovely night we thought if nothing else it would be nice to have a sunter over the fields. We didnt see anything all night although to be honest we were too busy talking and catching up to be very productive. We were heading home and decided to check one of our most productive fields, earlier this year we have had 10 from this field. Anyhow put on the lamp and there one was about 400 yards away with an unsafe backdrop so i got the call out and started calling, sure enough lamp back on and he was 50 yards away looking at us but in an even worse position and I couldnt take the shot , we scanned around with the lamp and the call had brought in 2 others so I called them into a safe position and picked out the biggest one at about 150 yards I put one just below his eye, painless death, the other fox had moved on but was still within 250 yards but was now sat on the brow of the hill and offered no safe shot I tried and tried but couldnt get it to come down so we had to give up, its a pity I could have had at least 2 if not three but due to the sheer amount of houses that seem to be popping up around the countryside I had to pass them up, not too botherd I am sure I will catch up with them later, just glad to see a few on this ground again, its hard to beat being out in the countryside on a good frosty nigtht sure its a bit cold and your nose never stops running but I like it.

The 32g v-max entered just the left eye and travelled into its spine.

STP60997.jpg

Thanks Martin, I am planning a shooting marathon over the holidays, I have been at my local getting stoicked up and I have 100 rounds loaded for the tac20 planning lots of varminting and get out with the new shotgun for some roost shooting and try and get the dog working right, she doesnt get worked enough these days and shes getting a bit lazy :rolleyes:

Guest 308Panther

Its a wonder the dog lets ya outta the house w/ gun in hand....

My one buddy has an English Setter that is a pheasant machine.

We have to spell out the manufactures names...you dont say gun in his house.

Nice Fox

308Panther

Panther she used to love getting out but latley she just looks at me, she is getting on a bit but I kept back one of her pups she is a bit young at the minute but she will make a decent dog, I have the silliest taste in dogs at the minute I am using a jack russell, she was real hard work but works ok now I only really use her for pigeons and crows anything else is too big for her :rolleyes:

Guest 308Panther

If it works for you....dont fix it,cause it aint broke.

Love watchin a good dog work.....

I can say I am not much of a Lab man...but when huntin

season comes around...They are pretty to watch too.

Now if it were only possible to train them to keep thier tongue

put away... :rolleyes:

308Panther

.223 mark, panther hit the nail on the head a .223 necked down case necked down to .20 cal, its is a touch slower than the .204 ruger, about 100 fps but the ability to get laupa brass really appealed to me, the .204 ruger is ok but all the brass is crap.

for comparison the .204 ruger is the green tip round and the red tip is the 20 tactical

STP60973.jpg

Chris the boom stick couldnt be better, originally my best load was shooting mid 3's for 5 shots but after some more powder testing and seating depth playing its now shooting in the low .2's for 5 shots and occasionally mid to high .1's, insanely accurate, I am paitently waiting on a calm day to test at 300 and 400 yards, I tried on tuesday at 400 metres in gusty 20 mph winds it performed well on spot targets but I didnt put a paper target out to see how it groups, dont think it would have been all that good in that wind.

Thanks for the reply craigyboy,that answered my question,i never heard of the round before i seen pics of your setup on various forums lovely rifle it is too :lol: The tac 20 looks to have a bigger bullet than the .204??

Mark the tac20 actually has the lighter bullet a 32g v-max whereas the .204 ruger has a 39g sierra blitzking but the tac20 bullet is just seated out much further :unsure:

Archived