A Lamping session

kip270

At last a weekend off, Beating on Saturday, not a bad day the guns had a good day, and it's nice to get out with old friends doing what we enjoy.

What i try to do now is go lamping the day after we have had a Shoot day, hopefully the commotion moves the foxes about, and the last time i done this i managed to bag two dog foxes.

Well last night i picked up my son at 6pm (this is the only reason i like the early dark nights) and were up the farm by 6.30pm, and getting out of the car it was bloody freezing (bbbrrrrrrr) forgot to grab my Skymate to see just how cold it was, but that easterly bites deep. I was the lamp man and also had my .222 with me, while my son had it easy with the .17hmr ;):P dejavu mmmmmmm :o

With the wind direction we had to go the long way round the ground, so headed down the farm drive and into our first field, and scanning around failed to see anything, so we carried on, i scanned the field by the driveway and spotted some eyes, but it was only a very quick glance, so we doubled back and got into the field where we spotted the eyes. We stood still to assess the wind direction and work out the best way to get up to where we saw the eye's, then we slowly made our way along with me scanning every bit of the field, then as we came to a small briar bush there it was at around 70 yards a Fox. It looked like it found a warm spot out of the wind, so my son grabbed my Varmint sticks and settled for the shot, i told him to take his time and SQUEEZE the trigger, "Crack" the bullet smacked into the bush, a clean miss :D Just before the shot i could hear my son let out a big sigh to settle his breathing, but i think BUCK FEVER set in big time, but at least it was a clean miss........

We walked for quite a way and didn't see anything, not even any bunnies........then i could see some eyes some 500 yards away in a valley, and this Fox was led down (another warm spot) so we planned our route and headed off, keeping the lamp just off the fox but enough to see the reflection. The problem we had was to get a clear shot we would have to go up the valley and slowly come over the brow to enable a safe shot, checking the wind we were OK, slowly edging our way to our intended FP. Then we could see the fox approx 200 yards away (i had been up the farm in the morn and checked the zero on the rifle) so i went to lie down, but as i did i could not see the fox off the bi-pod, so we made in a few more yards, the Fox lying there with not a care in the world, we got to a good FP so i went to lie down for the shot, and the Fox made off. Because of the valley the wind was swirling and it scented us :lol::lol: But at least we saw a couple.

Didn't manage to bag anything but had a good few hours out with my son, off out tomorrow to see if we can make up for blanking yesterday :P

no just how that feels kip i went out on thursday night with my shooting buddy to look for charlie and it was freezing here to must have been 2 or 3 bellow any how we drove into 1 feild which has a nice valley spotted a ginger chicken killer at about 600 yds and decided to give him a squeek in after about 15 mins my buddy got out the truck to take aim he was now about 220yds out and walking at a slow pace right infront of his scope popped the lamp of again and gave a few more squeeks put it on and he was gone only to do a pincer movment and on pulling the lamp to my far left there he was about 30yds away from us sadley to say did not get the shot of with the 17hmr and he scarpered back out to the 500yrd mark so we left him for another day and moved onto another location again lit the sky up and spotted charlie this time she was not so lucky my buddys hmr delivered a game point straight to the target and down she went

not a bad night shot 1 saw 2 and now need 5 new finger to hold my lamp due to frost bite :lol:

Bad luck kip but i know from your past posts you wont have to many nights like that,i havnt been out for some time now,been a greedy bugger and working loads of overtime,hope to get out through the holls

Archived