night vision front rail for stock forend

silent-varminter

Hey fella's.

Does anyone know of any night vision rails that fit to the forend of stocks ?

Im already planning on getting the rifle set up for a PS-22 front mount NV scope for this coming autumn. I know of the Badger Ordnance EFR but im struggling to find any in the uk to buy instead of trying to get it sent from the states. The stock its going on is a Bell & Carlson Tactical.

I thought about trying this set up using this rail cos when i see pics of the front mount nv scope attached using the day scope adaptor it kinda looks front end heavy. If anybody uses this set up id be interested if it is a bit too front end heavy with the nv scope attached or if its ok. Obviously if its ok there will be no need for the front rail but it just looked easier for mounting the scope on and off.

Craig

Please remember that

http://www.morovision.com/weapons_sights/PVS_22.htm

and the cheapo

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/821/106674/deben-ps22-gen2-nightvision-conversion-unit-dn8800/

Are completely different items and of completely different quality, despite the very similar name. Make sure you know what you are buying!

Riflecraft install the picatinny rails forward of the scope into decent tactical type stocks like the McMillans so may be able to fit one for you into your B&C. Usually they fit them to take a sniperkite (£7.5k ish trade)or similar. They did try the cheapo deben offering I believe but could never get them to work with any decent results.

If you are planning to export any NV gear from the US please be very careful. Any kit worth having is covered by the ITAR regs and forbidden to be sold or exported to non US citizens without a whole heap of paperwork and cash. They are very touchy about exporting just about anything that might remotely stand a chance of ending up in the hands of people hostile to US troops.

A decent rail with decent mounts will enable you to swap a dedicated NV unit for a dayscope and maintain zero.

Mark

Please remember that

http://www.morovision.com/weapons_sights/PVS_22.htm

and the cheapo

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/821/106674/deben-ps22-gen2-nightvision-conversion-unit-dn8800/

Are completely different items and of completely different quality, despite the very similar name. Make sure you know what you are buying!

Riflecraft install the picatinny rails forward of the scope into decent tactical type stocks like the McMillans so may be able to fit one for you into your B&C. Usually they fit them to take a sniperkite (£7.5k ish trade)or similar. They did try the cheapo deben offering I believe but could never get them to work with any decent results.

If you are planning to export any NV gear from the US please be very careful. Any kit worth having is covered by the ITAR regs and forbidden to be sold or exported to non US citizens without a whole heap of paperwork and cash. They are very touchy about exporting just about anything that might remotely stand a chance of ending up in the hands of people hostile to US troops.

A decent rail with decent mounts will enable you to swap a dedicated NV unit for a dayscope and maintain zero.

Mark

Hey mark cheeers for your reply.

The nv unit i was inteneding on getting is the ATN ps-22 from night vision gear, is this also classed as a cheapo one ??

Ill look into rifle craft for that mount.

cheers

Craig

Hi Craig

I'm sorry to say I dont know!

I dont know if all PS-22s are created equal but I do know that folk have been found to confuse the performance of the PVS-22 with the PS-22.

If you Ring Andrew to discuss installation of a forward mount he may be able to enlighten you more than I can.

I'm sure there will be another member or two on here that are more NV savvy than I am along soon

Mark

Hey mark cheeers for your reply.

The nv unit i was inteneding on getting is the ATN ps-22 from night vision gear, is this also classed as a cheapo one ??

Ill look into rifle craft for that mount.

cheers

Craig

Please don't waste your time and money on getting a forward mounted rail for this unit. it should have been called the POS-22, it is far too expensive, a poor performer and suffers badly from parallax issues.

to be honest, whilst most people consider the forward mounted NV setups the holy grail, they really aren't that good.

I have looked through some seriously high end forward mounted kit, with spotless ultra-high resolution (83LPmm) ITT tubes, and the problem is that you are magnifying what is essentially an image on a TV screen, once you get above a certain magnification the image starts to pixellate and becomes unusable.

the best bang for the buck is still a PVS-14 behind a schmidt 5-25x56 PMII with an IR laser. the images this setup can produce are absolutely world class

• 2 months later...

Hey fella's.

Does anyone know of any night vision rails that fit to the forend of stocks ?

Im already planning on getting the rifle set up for a PS-22 front mount NV scope for this coming autumn. I know of the Badger Ordnance EFR but im struggling to find any in the uk to buy instead of trying to get it sent from the states. The stock its going on is a Bell & Carlson Tactical.

I thought about trying this set up using this rail cos when i see pics of the front mount nv scope attached using the day scope adaptor it kinda looks front end heavy. If anybody uses this set up id be interested if it is a bit too front end heavy with the nv scope attached or if its ok. Obviously if its ok there will be no need for the front rail but it just looked easier for mounting the scope on and off

Craig

You buy the dayscope adapter to fit your dayscope.....there is a chart on the night vision gear website that helps you select the right one.

They also sell (when in stock) atn extra long weaver rail to help rail mount the NV. The dayscope adapters are pretty solid and feel strong enough. The centre line of the NV and dayscope have a tolerance of about 3mm so it may get fiddly to set the rail mount up correctly.

I've just got one with a pinny tube fitted, so I'm waiting for the nights to draw in, to start using it.

It does feel a little front heavy but shouldn't be a problem if shooting off bipod.

Forget about IT , sorry to say all cheap ATN night vision gear is basiclly crap , and NOT worth your effort or money , the only gear thats any use is unfortunitly the top mil-spec stuff that sells for a lot of gold and is also restricted outside the USA ( ie if its US made you are not going to get it as a civie ) .

You have to realise that the best units in absolute terms are the large dedicated units , like maxikite etc , and NOT the add on front jobbies .

The push for the front units is so the day optic stays in place always , and their are various problems and compromises with them all , most NV scopes need a large front lens , on the forward PVS-22 etc due to the way & place it mounts , it cannot have a large objective lens , as it hits the barrel .

The old Simrad model is actually very good in terms of resolution etc ( as it has a big front lens ) , BUT the problem usually with this type , is simply ITs weight bends the day scope , ie your zero is moved due to the mere act of mounting the Simrad .

Thats not what you want to hear .

You may be better off , getting a S&B PMII 5-25x56 , add using a easier to find , PVS-14 monocular ,

Later Chris

Archived