Brewing up a storm

JohnGalway

Saturday December 1

I had a first tonight. Conor text me earlier on asking if I'd fancy going for a walk after a fox or two. Since it was blowing a gale, sorry storm outside and raining on and off as well as the plentiful lightning and thunder, well who wouldn't have accepted such an offer?

Conor had one particular place in mind where he'd seen two foxes the night before, but no shot was on for a solo lamper. So we arrived at the spot, got geared up and set off like two mobile lightning rods. We set out up the hill with the wind blowing strongly right to left. We'd not gone too far when I thought I'd give a call on my Primos Still Cottontail Rabbit call. This is new for me as it's not electronic, you gotta actually do the job yourself! (lazy days are over). I gave a couple of my best distress calls and a bright pair of eyes appeared on the brow of a hill. I was lamping and calling and Conor was the rifleman for the night. I kept calling until the fox got moving. As I'd expected with a strong wind his idea was to run and circle down wind of us to get our scent. He loved the call, he came down off that hill like a rocket. Food was the only thing on his mind, as the guy on my coyote shooting DVD says I was speaking the language!

The fox got to a spot at the bottom of the hill he'd just been on. This point was about half way on his route to "wind" us. Once he had got running I didn't do too much calling, just enough to keep him interested and not a squeal more than that. I was planning on stopping him myself but he had the idea before me so when he stopped in open ground and presented for a nice shot I levelled the lamps full beam on him and Conor took him down with a nice 90 yard shot in a strong crosswind. Very nice bit of teamwork and even better to get a fox early out on our trip as then you always know whatever happens afterwards you won't be going home empty handed.

We saw three more foxes that night. I had hoped to call in another but a pair got our wind before we had a chance to do anything and the other one has associated lamps with danger so no amount of calling will work for him. Should be fun catching up with them before lambing time! I think we're pretty happy with our night, it started out as a storm with power outtages and lightning and ended up with a called in fox and a couple of burgers to celebrate from the local chippy. Lovely jubbly!

I'm delighted with the call as tonight was the first time I blew it outside of the house!

Dogfox90yards.jpg

Nice going john especialy geting one in such bad weather,we were out last night on a local farm and the wind was howling ,we know there are fox's there just nothing showed

Good going John, glad to see someones got the back bone to get out in this weather.

I must admit the comfort of my arm chair makes getting out on some of these evenings difficult.

Cheers

Dave

Archived