what rifle for stalking ?

A professional stalker in the South West uses a .270 with a 17 inch barrel, old vaime mod and 150 grain bullets. An old Parker Hale with Burris glass this is definitely a stalking rifle.

I've gone from carrying varmint and tactical weight rifles to something a lot more manageable. Most shots are going to be shortish range and multiple shots don't tend to happen often so why carry something unnecessarily heavy?

A professional stalker in the South West uses a .270 with a 17 inch barrel, old vaime mod and 150 grain bullets. An old Parker Hale with Burris glass this is definitely a stalking rifle.

I've gone from carrying varmint and tactical weight rifles to something a lot more manageable. Most shots are going to be shortish range and multiple shots don't tend to happen often so why carry something unnecessarily heavy?

You invoke the name of God, Atredies?:D

To be entirely fair that particular stalking rifle is set up for someone who weighs about 7 stone soaking wet.

God himself uses either a drilling in 7x57 or a SS Tikka M695 in 30.06 with cammo tape on the barrel...:ph34r::lol:

You invoke the name of God, Atredies?:D

To be entirely fair that particular stalking rifle is set up for someone who weighs about 7 stone soaking wet.

God himself uses either a drilling in 7x57 or a SS Tikka M695 in 30.06 with cammo tape on the barrel...:ph34r::lol:

Perhaps, it was his best lamb/rifle?? :unsure:

Anyhow, regardless of being set up for a 'lightweight' I hazard that it's responsible for the untimely demise of lots of deer....

The other consideration for me is that stalking rifles have evolved to have moderate weight barrels. For most uses these are the perfect compromise.

Personally I got pig sick of carrying very heavy outfits. If people are happy carrying heavies for stalking then fair play to them but I'll warrant in the long term that a lighter rifle appears.

Perhaps, it was his best lamb/rifle?? :unsure:

Anyhow, regardless of being set up for a 'lightweight' I hazard that it's responsible for the untimely demise of lots of deer....

The other consideration for me is that stalking rifles have evolved to have moderate weight barrels. For most uses these are the perfect compromise.

Personally I got pig sick of carrying very heavy outfits. If people are happy carrying heavies for stalking then fair play to them but I'll warrant in the long term that a lighter rifle appears.

I couldn't agree more, but as another mutual friend would point out, too light and you can't hold the bugger still after any exertion whatsoever.

Mustachio's rifle has great ballistics for a pure hunting rifle, but how many new stalkers would believe that you could kill all the deer you wanted with rifle that's ballistics are +1.5" at 100, -8" at 200?

I couldn't agree more, but as another mutual friend would point out, too light and you can't hold the bugger still after any exertion whatsoever.

Mustachio's rifle has great ballistics for a pure hunting rifle, but how many new stalkers would believe that you could kill all the deer you wanted with rifle that's ballistics are +1.5" at 100, -8" at 200?

Absolutely re too light. There's a balance to be struck here. I reckon the 9-10lb bracket (all up) should be about right. Obviously everyone has their personal preference.

Agreed re das gewehr von der schnauzbart: it's certainly an interesting piece.

i'd never weighed a rifle until 10 mins ago...

my new sako 6.5 x 47 weighs 12lb with scope, mod and bipod. a tikka 590 22-250 i have in the cabinet weighs 8lb rifle and scope, couldnt weigh my r93 because the stock is away getting right handed palm swell fitted (note to self - dont but blaser stocks over phone when drinking - they arent all ambidextrous)- suspect its about 10lb all up.

12lb is a tad on the havy side, 10 is just right, 8lb felt lovely and i'm very tempted to have it rebarrelled deer legal just for the odd summers evening, when walking the hedgerows, no moderator or bipod.

friday i will be carrying 12ib, moring and eveing, i'm sure it wont be a problem.

its the length that gets me more than the weight, new rifle is 50", blaser is 42.5" and the barrel length is only 3 " differnt - theres 4" difference in the style of the rifle and the type of moderator fitted. the 50" beast is a bit cumbersome when crossing woodland, inbetween rides say and having to step over things.

It all depends on how you how you hunt.

If you carry the rifle on a sling or shoot from a high seat anything, within reason, is do-able. As an experiment after this thread I went stalking yesterday and tonight with my Sako varmint, rather than the sporter Tikka.

In very thick stuff I prefer to stalk with the rifle in my right hand held pointing slightly down with my hand at the balance point with my left reserved for sticks or binoculars depending on whether I'm moving or still. I should probably hit the gym but I find that a 9 1/2lbs rifle is as much as I can carry in one hand without feeling that my arm has been on the rack at the end of the day.

This is the weight of the un-modded Tikka but the varmint tips the scales at 11lbs with scope but without a mod. I have come to the conclusion that for the 30 yard fallow doe and the 160 yard muntjac I shot this weekend, the first off hand and the second with sticks and resting on a tree for good measure, that a rifle that groups 1/4" off bags is neither advantageous nor particularly desirable!:D

An 8-81/2 pound '06 with a 1.7x10-42 scope and I'm good for pretty much anything on the planet.

I reckon we might be forgetting the original post, one rifle for multiple tasks.

A light stalking rifle will not be adequate for any range work. They are designed to be carried…not shot.

It’s all down to what each individual can cope with. In the military, training includes strength exercises for among other reasons, easier use of the various weapon systems. I continued that philosophy when I left. I still run, I go to the gym I stay at a level that allows me to do what I want. Other sporting activities such as football, rugby and others need a bit of training and effort to get the most from the sport, what’s different about shooting?

ATB.

Although I cannot speak for others, that was precisely my point; there is no such thing as a dual-use target and stalking rifle except in a number of limited circumstances which only the the stalker himself can specify.

A rifle with enough of a barrel to fire ten or twenty shot strings will be incredibly unbalanced for stalking, what's the point of going for something in between that lets you fire say 5 shot strings and piss you off every time you go stalking?

If one's sport is mainly highseats then something the size and weight of my Sako varmint might be ok but a rifle for carrying? Stick to dedicated. IMO.

A rifle with enough of a barrel to fire ten or twenty shot strings will be incredibly unbalanced for stalking, what's the point of going for something in between that lets you fire say 5 shot strings and piss you off every time you go stalking?

I understand what you mean but a target rifle is not the same as a tactical rifle. I understood that was his preferred style of weapon.

An AIAW with a 20 in barrel and a decent mod would be a very good stalking rifle …if you are fit enough. I used my service weapon many moons ago when three of us were dispatched to cull deer in a remote part of Scotland. If you wanted to go long range, you could just screw another barrel on.

ATB

Archived