A nice morning out

kip270

Well with recent work commitments, i haven't had much chance to get out with the rifle's, so having finished a night shift i decided that i deserved a few hours out, so i got home, got changed grabbed the .17hmr and headed up the farm. I went lamping a week or so ago but we didn't get anything, but we spotted a vixen, and she headed towards a large wood, but didn't give me a safe shot, then just behind her there was a dog fox, but he was on a brow all the way to the wood. So i was hoping to spot a Fox this morning, but any other vermin would be on the hitlist too.

I had a good walk round but didn't see anything, then i spotted a squirrel about 25 yards away, i put the cross-hairs on it's head, and squeezed off my shot, "Thwack" one squirrel in the bag, then another one stuck it's head up just behind the first one, "Thwack" number two in the bag. My focus had now turned on the squirrel, so i headed off to a good spot, and spotted one at 75 yards, i settled down on my varmint sticks and waited, the squirrel sat up and the cross-hairs were on it's head, i squeezed off my shot, and saw the squirrel slump at my shot. I reloaded, then spotted another one :o 10 yards to the left of the one i just shot, with not a care in the world, i settled the cross-hairs on it's head and squeezed off my shot, "Thwack" number four in the bag. The .17hmr with the Winchester v-max really sorts them out.

IMG00251.jpg

IMG00252.jpg

Well i was having so much fun, i headed back round the farm to see if i could spot any more squirrels, as i came to the top of a small brow i could see some crows, and then two Magpie's, i got out my leica 1200, and scanned the maggie's, 200 yards :) , I settled down on my varmint sticks again, and settled on the closest magpie, i aimed two dots up on my mil-dot scope, it turned away from me, and i squeezed off my shot. The magpie slumped in my scope, not a twitch, i picked up my leica1200 and scanned it, 198 yards. What a fantastic little rifle this is, every time i use it i am amazed with what it can do :):)

198yrd17hmr.jpg

Look out he's found some more squirrels :)

Nice shooting Kip, they must breed quick in your part of the world to recover so quick after the bashing you gave them a couple of months ago.

Cheers

Dave

Look out he's found some more squirrels :)

Nice shooting Kip, they must breed quick in your part of the world to recover so quick after the bashing you gave them a couple of months ago.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, there were more in the tree's, so hope to be out after them real soon :)

Ah I see Kip, now the leaves have come off you can see more of the litttle buggers :):)

Keep up the good work, I'm still amazed at the numbers you are shooting :)

Is it down to you being away up in Scotland?

Cheers

Dave

Ah I see Kip, now the leaves have come off you can see more of the litttle buggers :o:)

Keep up the good work, I'm still amazed at the numbers you are shooting :D

Is it down to you being away up in Scotland?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

When i moved to Scotland, no-one was really doing any real vermin shooting, the Keeper was keeping on top of the foxes, but everything else was off the list, but now i'm back, no vermin is safe :):)

A bit of making up for lost time :P

Glad your settling back in Wales with such ease.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave,

When i first came back, it felt strange, i gave up everything down here to make a new life in Scotland, pity the woman i did it for proved me wrong. :( Everything happens for a reason, and things here are better than i could imagine, i get on great with the ex-wife and her hubby, my kids are happy i'm back, the keeper and farmer are happy i'm back, and the shooting i have is well, what more could i ask for :) Got a new position in work, and things are really coming together :o

Weather permitting i am off stalking on Thursday morn (when i finish work :) ) for some Muntjac and Roe :D Will keep you posted :)

Archived