info on .17 centrefire

Hi not sure of the info i got but is there a .17 ackley imp centrefire i can get a .17 for small money but would like to find out as much as i can thanks

THE .17 cals are in themselves wildcats derived from the parent brass of other calibres.

example.17 hornet-,17 bee-17ackley bee-17- 222 ,17-223 get the way this is going?

the .17rem is in my estimation the best -you get the accuracy and velocity, no case forming dies are easy to get hold of plenty of good powders,if as you ask you want to go ACKLEY IMPROVED there are a few you can do 17-bee ackley-17. hornet 17-223 or you could go 17-br very overbore 17.ppc again overbore, whatever you choose you would gain nothing over the standard.17rem apart from the brass quality, although you can form from 223 lapua,even using the 17-222 magnum case you would be still in the same field as 17 rem.

if its your first .17 go simple ,these small cartridges when home loaded are waiting to kick you in the teeth at the first chance ,im sure others will give there views but mine is based on having a few .17,s over the years.

I have a 17 rem which has a 6 x 24 x 56 zeiss scope on top and there isnt much you miss once you have it set up

Mark

I agree with everything gary said, Ive not had my 17 Rem very long but cant imagine needing anything more from a 17 centrefire. It does everything i expect from it, very well.

post-11046-055791800 1326316403_thumb.jpg

thanks garyw i had a .17 10 years ago and found it perfect like most lads im looking for something different but if its not broken dont fix it comes to mind

if you want something different do what i did -i got a .14 calibre :P its a .17hmr on steroids.

if you want a different 17 look at the likes of the ackley hornet -javelina-ackley bee these are all a bit of work and dies are available but the up side is -its different.

...although you can form from 223 lapua...

I think these would turn out a bit on the short side (neck). Better off using .204 Ruger for forming .17 Rem brass.

Having had an Ackley, albeit in a different cal, I would stick to a regular .17 Rem, much lessfuss. Oh yes, I have a deposit left on one :)

Archived