advice needed on a rifle scope

dannywayoflife

Hi gents,

i need some advice, ill soon be picking up a tikka t3 varmint in 223 that i have bought. And i need to start thinking about what glass to put on top.

I will be using the rifle as a dual purpose rifle shooting foxes and some plinking hopefully out to around 800yds or so. I really dont know too much about glass. I will have a budget of around £350. What scopes are there out there for this money?

Ive seen the falcon menace 50-25x56 and that seems like a reasonable buy.

What do you chaps think?

i think your best bet would be to look hard and ring round loads of gun shops for a good quality secound hand scope , maybe leopold or the like .

the main thing to look for in any scope in this price range is that the scope is tracking well with any ajustments you make.

a 223 should note make to many demands on recoil movement (point of impact shot to shot).

but i realy dont know about buying new in your chosen price range .

best of luck

Hi, a friend of mine has a sidewinder 30 tact from deben for about £300 i think it's the 6-24x56 atop of his .243 browning x-bolt. I loaded him some 87 grn v-max last summer and he stretched it's legs out to 700yard. The scope tracked well and returned to zero, the glass was ok and for the money he wasn't complaining hitting the 8inch gong at that range. He also has a millet I think for about the same money and spec on his BSA hornet but I've never had a look at it. Both used a lot for foxing aswell. Not sure if anyone else on the forum has used these scopes or their thoughts on them? Good luck, si

I had one of these Falcons for a short time. It's build is agricultural,though i found the dialing repeatability to be spot on, however, it is front focal plane and i found the fat reticle just covers too much of your aimpoint. I think you will find the image quality to be lacking at 800 yds too. The bloke I sold it to put it on an airgun and to this day is very pleased with it.

I agree with above post, for your budget find a better quality scope second hand - Leuopold, Meopta etc.

Also ensure that the scope you do get has enough elevation adgustment or that you find an inclined rail to fit the Tikka, 800yds is a long way!

ATB

Rup

I'd be tempted for a second hand Bushell, 4200 or 6500. I had a 6500 on my Hornet and wound that up and down like a yoyo. Never lost its zero.

They would fit your price range, glass quality is good and they have the magnification for your long range target work as well.

They are worth a look mate.

Steve.

Danny mate I use the sidewinder tac 30 6-24 x 56 on my 22-250. Can't go wrong mate to be honest will be good enough for your job. I am always using my scope out to 650 yrds and it always returns to zero. I am VERY happy with it for 260 quid. I can't complain. Deffo think about one.

Archived