Recommended thread size and mod?

To recomend a thread you need to give the outside diameter of the barrel.

Also what caliber is it?

Cheers

Dave

Clue to the cal is in the thread name "Recommended thread size and mod? CZ 527 Varmint .17 Rem" :D

Sorry not sure of the measurements as I don't have it yet, I thought one of the learned chaps on here might've cut one before and know. Suppose I'll have to hang on for a bit.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

The most common threads used on varmint weight barrels are 5/8"x 24 UNEF or 14x1mm. This is obviously dependant on the muzzle being of a sufficient diameter to leave enough material for a shoulder,

Best regards

Alan

Clue to the cal is in the thread name "Recommended thread size and mod? CZ 527 Varmint .17 Rem" :D

Sorry not sure of the measurements as I don't have it yet, I thought one of the learned chaps on here might've cut one before and know. Suppose I'll have to hang on for a bit.

Cheers

Sorry don't see full headers when reading posts on my I phone.

As said still need outside diameter of barrel to asses for thread size.

I always try to have the largest thread diameter as possible that the barrel will allow.

Dave

Hi Steve,

The most common threads used on varmint weight barrels are 5/8"x 24 UNEF or 14x1mm. This is obviously dependant on the muzzle being of a sufficient diameter to leave enough material for a shoulder,

Best regards

Alan

I find your thoughts unusual Alan there. I would say 5/8 x 24 UNEF is very rare in the UK. I cannot honestly remember the last one i saw. :blink: Its an American thread size most favoured when fitting brakes.

By far the most common size , imperial wise in the UK has to be 5/8 x 18 UNF. Its what all Remingtons are threaded in the UK with a varmint weight barrel.

Regarding the CZ varmint TT, if i remember rightly, i think a 5/8 thread can just about be squeezed on leaving enough shoulder. It would be better in 14mm x 1 possibly.

Hi Dave,

It just seems that people prefer the finer thread, I do about 2-3 UNEF for every 1 UNF. This applies for both 1/2" and 5/8" threads. Most US made muzzle brakes are UNEF, some shooters like to be able to swap between brake and moderator depending on the type and venue of their shooting,

Best regards

Alan

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Alan. I tend to cut the 5/8 x 18 thread for exactly the same reason, as i buy the Third eye brakes in , cut in this thread to enable a switch between a brake and mod.Regional gunsmith differences and ideas.

Never thought i, say it, but i,m cutting more and more metric threads through choice these days.

I have a box full of genuine Vais brakes though, in some real weird threads....even up to 32 pitch ones.... :blink:

Archived