hind stalking

Guest ds2

The alarm went off at 6.50am my mate Ian was picking me up at 7.30, I had all my stuff ready the night before so I could just get up and go, I got dressed and fell head first down the stairs bouncing off the front door setting the house alarm off her in doors and the kids were well pleased, I dusted myself off licked my wounds and got some grub down my neck and Ian picked me up taking the piss out of me for being such a blancmange falling down the stairs, we arrived at the stalkers cottage at 9.00 meet the gang, I had a stalker, a pony boy, and two ponies, Ian had the same off we went in the landrover in to this massive glen,there was red stags and hinds all over the glen when you glassed there was deer every where , they made there plans who was taking who and off we went, the stalker I had was a pony boy who had been on the ponies all week and now had the chance on Friday to take me out so he was well up for it, he was only 20 and built like a fu..ing mountain goat, he picked the highest hill and said come on Dave lets go and shoot some hinds, f..ck me if I said it was steep that was an under statement, so upward and onward we went for about two hours sweating like a poachers dog, drinking out from frozen water falls and sucking on icicles to keep us going we eventually spied a parcel of about 80 hinds and thirty stags, so the stalk was on we made our way below the deer down a long burn coming up below them,we did a 250yd crawl through frozen peat bogs and burns to get in the position for a shot , we could see two hinds and a calf and one big stag they were feeding at about 140yds away I got in position ready to shoot, took the closest hind first down she went with a hart shot, then the second hind she went down thwack dead as a hammer swung round and shot the calf head shot at 60yds all three beast were shot in less that 25 seconds, the stalker was well pleased with my shooting and congratulated me in a good result, we gralloched the three of them as the ponies came up to meet us and brought our lunch, I know I have gone on a bit but what a fantastic day we had, I hope you can get a glimpse of this through the pictures I have posted, a day that started off bad turned out very, very, good indeed , I couldn't believe it when the alarm went off this morning at 5.00am ready for my shift I was like a fu...ing ironing board, looking forward to feb, i would just like to thank ian for taking me into his little bit of heaven it was well worth all the pain and sweat thanks mate for a fantastic day your a top bloke rgds ds2 .....................................

1030571ut4.jpg

1030573qe8.jpg

1030575ij4.jpg

1030576bj9.jpg

1030578wr8.jpg

1030586yf8.jpg

1030589zh4.jpg

1030590pp9.jpg

1030592xr2.jpg

Well done Dave , I bet it was freezing but I bet you warmed up pretty quickly scaling those steep slopes, my knees would have been knackered. How did your mate do ???

hi mark, my mate ian shot two hind and a calf , he shot them with his 270, i used the old 243, they keep on saying 243 not enough gun for reds my arse, its all down to bullet placement. ;)

Looks like you had a cracking time buddy - so pleased for you!!!! ;):lol:

Just had a great time away in Sussex myself and it was awesome!!!! :lol:

Good shooting too!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!

All the best............

RAY............................... :lol: :lol:

Looks like you had a cracking time buddy - so pleased for you!!!! ;):lol:

Just had a great time away in Sussex myself and it was awesome!!!! :lol:

Good shooting too!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!

All the best............

RAY............................... :lol: :lol:

thanks ray, it was a very special day, i got put through the ringer but its days like that stay with you forever rgds dave. :lol:

thanks ray, it was a very special day, i got put through the ringer but its days like that stay with you forever rgds dave. ;)

Totally agree mate , when you have a bit of hard going it sure makes it sweeter for the memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just savor the flavor buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D;)

Thanks for sharing your experience with us too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best.................

RAY.......................................... :D;)

Hi Dave look's nice weather for it & steep/hard ground wouldent like to do the fox den's out there be some cold night's.A good day at the hind's getting 3 each & the hind on the tan horse looked a skinner.We use to put 2 hind's & calf on a pony f**k dragging 2 ponies out there for the day haed work the pony it's self but a lovly way to extract deer.

Hi Dave look's nice weather for it & steep/hard ground wouldent like to do the fox den's out there be some cold night's.A good day at the hind's getting 3 each & the hind on the tan horse looked a skinner.We use to put 2 hind's & calf on a pony f**k dragging 2 ponies out there for the day haed work the pony it's self but a lovly way to extract deer.

we had a fantastic time baz, the day was top draw stuff mate i ended shooting them laying in a burn it was the only angle i could get to take a shot, they all went doon like they had their legs chopped off, its great when you see them go down like that, there was about fifty in the group i shot them out of, but they were out of sight below us, i was very happy with the result of my home loads, no meat damage as you can see in one of the hinds in the larder, trying to get back up in jan, feb , the ponies is the only was to take them off the hill first class stalking mate anyone thats into deer stalking doesnt know what stalking is untill they have stalked hinds in surroundings like that total quality it dont get any better that that................... :(;):huh::D

Stunning Scenery....

Great Shoooting......

Mules for extraction.....

What a superb set of photos and narrative thanks for sharing what is (possibly) stalking at its very best, glad you enjoyed it.

Well the second part of it anyway!

GB

Stunning Scenery....

Great Shoooting......

Mules for extraction.....

What a superb set of photos and narrative thanks for sharing what is (possibly) stalking at its very best, glad you enjoyed it.

Well the second part of it anyway!

GB

thanks greenbear as you can see it was great scenery, the deer were everywhere, and bringing them off the hill with ponies was just the cherry on the cake, going again after christmas if things go to plan cheers ds2 :(

Archived