First blood

tikka 223

Been itching to get out with the new rifle ,ok another pic for you all

Photo-0103.jpg

After having the mod fitted the alternator went on me motor so i could not get out .

Last night made arrangements with ciltalgarth for a nights lamping ,him with the rimfire me with the 223 .

Tim arrived at 630 and we set off at 645 to my permision .On getting there within 2 minutes tim had a few rabbits and we moved on . After a 10 minute walk tim had a few more rabbits in the bag but no sign of charlie plenty off signs though .

Then as we carried on lamping picks up a woodcock in the lamp about 20 yrds away , what a sight .

Moves on to a wheat field lamp on theres a charlie about 220 yrds away ,lamp off start calling . After a bit hes comming fast only to wind us and return to the 220 yrd mark . Ok on the sticks and let him have it boom followed by the thump ,once youve heard it you no what it means . Walks over to where it was pacing it out and no fox but it was by an overgrown pond so must have made it to that Not happy but thats life .

Moved on 100 yrds and theres another lying down on the wheat feild tried calling but was not interested so got down on the bipod and sent him a present winch was delived at 169 yrds in the chest . When getting to him a nice dog fox the 55 grn blitzkings did there job.

Photo-0114.jpg

Moved on to another part of the farm gets to the gate way puts the lamp on rabbit at 30 yrds ,checked the rest of the field for charlie to spot a pair of eye,s in the far corner . Started to call and noticed another pair of eyes further up the hedge .

We decided to move positions as the wind was not in are favour ,after movig to the other side off the hedge puts lamp on theres a fox 20 yrds infront of us . cocks the rifle up on the sticks and he,s running gave him a calll but he still runs another call and he stops about 150 yrds plus to late .

Photo-0117.jpg

Lamps the field again theres another about 100 yrds away back on the sticks and missed .After the fun we had made are way back to the motor with tim bagging another 10 or so rabbits and seeing about 4 more woodcock .

All in all a good night .

Regards Rob

Indeed a very good night Rob and good shooting of sticks ,bloody crap myself at shooting of them,and congrats on the first kills with the new rifle hope the sucess keeps up,also good to see people be truithful and admit to missing,no disrespect to those that shoot shotguns but i know a couple that say you should never miss with a rifle,they have never taken me up on the invite to have a go though

Thanks foxshot anyone that has never missed has never shot in my book :angry:

varmartin Posted Today, 01:41 AM

Good going on the foxes, I would like to go back with a shotgun early evening and bag a few woodcock

Did that last week

Photo-0113.jpg

Thanks all

Guest varmartin

I have shot a few woodcock but never eaten them. The last 3 i shot i took over to my gran as she loves them.

She did say they tasted `ansum`

I have never eaten Lobster either. My Gran had a Lobster one night when we went out for a meal on here Birthday.

I asked if i could try a bit...."Oh no ..they are far to expensive" mmmmm

I will be eating woodcock next time I bag one or two ....Gran can have a Pasty :angry: :angry:

Martin

Guest 308Panther

My first Woodcock I had mounted,I asked the taxidermist to "save the meat"

Thinkin I would get a call when she prepped the bird.She froze it and when I

called about it she said I could pick up the meat when the bird was done.

Time comes to pick up the bird,and it wasnt ready as she got a 350lb Black Bear

in...So I said I would stop in a week later to see if it was done...Somehow that got

listed as an appointment to pick up...I ended up working that weekend and couldnt make

but dropped by a couple weeks later.....Thats when I was informed they had a freezer malfunction

and lost a whole lot of meat(mine included)....and that she also had the nerve to include "storage fees" from the missed "appointment"....If it wasnt my first Woodcock...I would have told her where to shove that bird.

308Panther

Archived