2 more in the bag

woody

HI Everyone.

I went out recently with my buddy to shoot in one of the fields at our place which hasn't been shot for months. Maybe more than a year.

The reason being this particular big field is only accessible by road, and not through another farm gate, and we keep the gate heavily locked as a bit of a preventative measure

against stock thefts. As well as stock thefts the land is next to a wood, and next the other side of the wood is a scrap yard. A magnet for thieves and do-as-you-likeys at any time of night. Twice we've had a gate removed on the field so thieves can park a car off the road before they go on a pick your own shopping spree over the scrap yard.

Well the sheep that we had in the field were all moved on to pastures new, and as the gate only had 1 lock on we took the Polaris up the road into the field. We parked the truck in a position where I knew it was safe shots only.

the bottom of the field has a massive ditch where we piled up all the earth on the other side of it, creating a 10ft wall of soil about 150m long. We had my CZ .223 out, and my buddy had his brand new .243.

After sitting quiet for 5 minutes I had a whistle with a bog standard widgeon call. 30 seconds later flicked on the lamp and Hells Bells. 4 sets of Eyes. Well it was only fair that my bud got to fire off the first kill through his new rifle. We went dark, he prepared, lamp went back on, 3 foxes in same place, and 1 had come to investigate and was 100 metres away. As he went to take the shot he realised that putting the rifle into a rigid rest he had pressed the mag release button and it had come out. So he took the lamp and flicked it back on. Foxy was still there and got the good news from my .223.

We Scanned the field and the other foxes had vanished, but one set of eyes could still be seen looking at us from the woods. We left the field unlocked and went and lamped more of the farm, returning about an hour later. Lamp on and there was one. This time my friend was in the hot seat and the new RPA rifle did its thing. A good evening all round.

I have just bought the Pulsar N550 NightVision scope, which is going on my .223. I have moved my S&B over to my .243 as it makes a lovely light stalking set up. I am waiting for the Lens Doubler I have ordered for my NV scope, and I need to get the correct mounts to get it onto my CZ rifle. It needs some kind of Picatinny or weaver rail before i can mount it.

I did however take it out for a look around without the doubler on Sunday night. With the addition IR torch that comes in the kit it was quite impressive and i could watch bunnies going about there business 100 metres away. From the decking on the back of the house i could count sheep in a field about 200 metres away. I hope when the double is on I will be able to shoot foxes quite happily at 150-200 metres. An IR filter on the light force lamp will help too.

HI Everyone.

I went out recently with my buddy to shoot in one of the fields at our place which hasn't been shot for months. Maybe more than a year.

The reason being this particular big field is only accessible by road, and not through another farm gate, and we keep the gate heavily locked as a bit of a preventative measure

against stock thefts. As well as stock thefts the land is next to a wood, and next the other side of the wood is a scrap yard. A magnet for thieves and do-as-you-likeys at any time of night. Twice we've had a gate removed on the field so thieves can park a car off the road before they go on a pick your own shopping spree over the scrap yard.

Well the sheep that we had in the field were all moved on to pastures new, and as the gate only had 1 lock on we took the Polaris up the road into the field. We parked the truck in a position where I knew it was safe shots only.

the bottom of the field has a massive ditch where we piled up all the earth on the other side of it, creating a 10ft wall of soil about 150m long. We had my CZ .223 out, and my buddy had his brand new .243.

After sitting quiet for 5 minutes I had a whistle with a bog standard widgeon call. 30 seconds later flicked on the lamp and Hells Bells. 4 sets of Eyes. Well it was only fair that my bud got to fire off the first kill through his new rifle. We went dark, he prepared, lamp went back on, 3 foxes in same place, and 1 had come to investigate and was 100 metres away. As he went to take the shot he realised that putting the rifle into a rigid rest he had pressed the mag release button and it had come out. So he took the lamp and flicked it back on. Foxy was still there and got the good news from my .223.

We Scanned the field and the other foxes had vanished, but one set of eyes could still be seen looking at us from the woods. We left the field unlocked and went and lamped more of the farm, returning about an hour later. Lamp on and there was one. This time my friend was in the hot seat and the new RPA rifle did its thing. A good evening all round.

I have just bought the Pulsar N550 NightVision scope, which is going on my .223. I have moved my S&B over to my .243 as it makes a lovely light stalking set up. I am waiting for the Lens Doubler I have ordered for my NV scope, and I need to get the correct mounts to get it onto my CZ rifle. It needs some kind of Picatinny or weaver rail before i can mount it.

I did however take it out for a look around without the doubler on Sunday night. With the addition IR torch that comes in the kit it was quite impressive and i could watch bunnies going about there business 100 metres away. From the decking on the back of the house i could count sheep in a field about 200 metres away. I hope when the double is on I will be able to shoot foxes quite happily at 150-200 metres. An IR filter on the light force lamp will help too.

Re the doubler buy a sony VCL-HG1737C lens and the fittment with four allen screws from Dr Bob for £28.00. Its a better smaller set up.

Re the doubler buy a sony VCL-HG1737C lens and the fittment with four allen screws from Dr Bob for £28.00. Its a better smaller set up.

Thanks for the advice. Where do I get this from. I was going to order the doubler on Scott Country which uses the pulsar lens i think. I would like to make sure I have got the best one and forums do seem to say the sony lens is the way to go.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. Where do I get this from. I was going to order the doubler on Scott Country which uses the pulsar lens i think. I would like to make sure I have got the best one and forums do seem to say the sony lens is the way to go.

Cheers.

Hi Woody

I did buy the one from Scott Country which is a large lens and the attachemnt, I then did my research and found out that the sony handy cam doubler is better by far and very small and compact, this is according to the guy who designed the doubler for Scott Country, so what I did then was to buy the sony VCL-HG1737C from amazon, and yes it is better and a lot smaller than the Scott Country version. I also read that Dr Bob was making a new fittment which has four internal alan screws instead of three. There had been some talk of loss of zero so I masticked mine in. I have the Scott country one in the draw and been meaning to sell it to the children on hunting life forum, you can have this one if you wish but I would not bother and buy the Sony to be honest.

So you can buy the lense of Amazon or fleebay, and for the attachment this is avaliable from Dr Bobs bits and bobs for £28.00 just pay his paypall account and he will post it out. My N550 has the LR 808 laser and the Sony doubler fitted it can easily take rabbits at 140 yard with the .17 hmr, must say not so easy to spot with the doubler on but no issue for me as I use an Archer for this.

enquiries@drbobsgunbits...

Good Hunting

ATB

Mike..

Archived