Burn rates comparison?

craigyboy

I have a few powders I would like to try in my tac20 problem is I cant find any load info for them, would it be safe to find a powder with a near identical burn rate and use the data for it? I have been looking at the chart below and there are a few on there I could use, 1 being BL-C(2) I have a full tub of it and it sits right behind Alliant 10x which there is loads of data for, Obviously I would approach it safely and work up slowly but it should be ok shouldnt it?

Burn rates

Craigy Boy.

The fact that you are asking means the answer must be NO.

On paper it should be fine but in reality so often pressures don't seem to respect common sense and unless you are both brave and well experienced with using powder from your own guesstimates then it must be sensible to stay clear of experimenting.

May I suggest you post the cal/bullet weight and powder on here an see if anyone has used that combination so you will at lea]st have a starting point.

I have taken 'risks' in the past doing just what you want to do and have been lucky but the margin between luck and foolhardiness is very small.

There were many occasions recently when I turned my head away as I squeezed the trigger on the 325WSM simply because I was loading a cal that at that time had no published load data. Sometimes needs must but in your circumstances I suggest you ask on here and otherwise leave the powder for more appropriate calibers.

thanks fo the reply 325, I am trying to find data for BL-C (2) and the 32g v-max in tac20 but no one has any info for it which is strange as its a perfectly suitable powder right in there with 10x and vv133.

Archived