A blustery afternoon.

6mmBR

What an afternoon, Mark-taffy and I managed to get out for a few hours yesterday afternoon. we were both keen to get on this new bit of land I picked up after helping the farmer out with his problem foxes.

The place was crawling with rabbits in the back of the sand dunes when I was down there foxing.

DSCF0329.jpg

Today was a different story the wind meter showed a wind of 12mph gusting to 20mph :blink: the wind was blowing straight down their burrows :lol:

Any way we set up and agreed to give it a go for an hour since we were out anyway.

The wind played havoc with our shooting and although we were getting the elevation right we were missing by fractions by not quite reading the wind. I finally connected with a bunny at 186 yds and was glad of that. We waited a while in the jeep and finally a carion crow landed on the dead rabbit. Mark pulled off a great shot at 186 yds and hit him plumb centre with a 55gn Nosler :blink:

DSCF0327.jpg

We hung around a while and we both missed a magpie. I managed to conect with 2 magpies at 150yds.

Sadly no rabbits showed, we agreed to call it a day and would return when there were more favourable conditions.

It was still great to get out and you have got to grab opertunities as the arise as you won't shoot anything from an arm chair :blink:

Cheers

Dave

I had very similar wind conditions yesterday I was having to hold off 2 inches at only 100 yards wind was up on the 20's. At least you got a few kills for going out, always nice to get magpies and crows feels so much more satisfying to me than a rabbit, nice going.

Cheers Craig I know what you mean at 186 yds we were needing to allow for 3 inches of wind drift and that was waiting for the wind meter to indicate a lull.

As you said its still fun getting out there and we managed to spoil a few corvids day :blink:

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Its good to get out in the wind to remind us how it can get in conditions other than perfect...

Shows how hard it can be if you were hunting for `The Pot`.

good shooting lads on the corvids...nice piece of land too.

Martin

Good shooting lads and a nice looking bit of ground ,that is one thing i dont do enough of should practice shooting on targets on windy days but never do,gona after get out there and do it

The only way to learn how to shoot in the wind is actually to get out there and do it. It certainly adds to the challenge :) and is great fun, practicing on clay pigeons at varying distances is a good way of getting tuned in.

Cheers

Dave

Well done Dave, yesterday we had hardly any wind here, until about 14.30hrs, didn't get out shooting myself as I was out picking up on a shoot, in the morning we were hoping for some wind to get the birds up. We did have a good day even without the wind.

Whats abit of water ;) only goes as far as the skin.

I dont mind getting wet, I dont mind my shotguns getting wet but drying a rifle out is backside ache as it has to come out of the stock then be re zeroed after putting it back in.

So these days unless I have a day booked etc then I build a big fire and look out of the window instead.

Geoff

Nice one :P In my case turn up the heating lol.

We only light a fire these days when its really cold, it looks so much nicer than a radiator.

For me it brings back memories when I was very young and used to stay with my grandparents up in northern " Westmorland" now Cumbria ( never did like that name ) and I used to have a fire in the bedroom when it was bitter in winter ( very un PC ) and the flickering on the walls and ceiling were very cosy, used to send me off to sleep ( after a story from my great Aunt who looked after everybody with the patience of a saint), happy days for sure. :P

Redfox

The weather improved today and I thought I'd pop back down to this bit of ground and see if the rabbits would come out to play. The wind was still quite strong and showed a steady 7-8 mph on the wind guage. Luckily the way I had set up the wind was behind me for most shots and quartering for some.

The first target to present itself was a big old carion crow @ 168yds I popped him and that was a great start.

DSCF0350.jpg

The sun did pull quite a few bunnies and I managed 9 in total, the one I didn't get hold of was one I blew right down the rabbit hole ;)

DSCF0355.jpg

The best shot was 221yds and I cocked up the chance of a double @ 211yds ;) I got a bit too excited to see these 2 bunnies get close together and rushed the shot ;)

Never mind a great way to finnish the weekend.

Cheers

Dave

Nice going Dave!!!!!!!!!! :(;)

Looks like you had a great session there - nice one on the crow too!!!!! :D:huh:

All the best..................

RAY.................................... :D :D

Archived