It's late but it got here.

charly hunter

Hi, Millpool as you haven't sorted out your email service and I can't send you any photos, I guess I will have to do the write up.

This happened last Wednesday night, now as some of the guys down this neck of the woods will know Millpool is a bit of a Joana, all the time he has been out lamping with me he has only ever had two foxes. It just seems every time I take him out we don't see them or the one's we do see are quick to take off.

Well as arranged I pulls up outside of his place at 19.00 hrs and it's not long before we are loaded up and off down the road. Just a mile or so up the road I had a few calls and there was nothing to be seen, my son said "Here we go again" :blink: Millpool takes it all in good spirits which is just as well. On to the next area just a 1/2 mile further on and again I started calling, and calling and still nothing, well one rabbit. As we were about to move on I passed my son the lamp and told him to look over the hedge behind him, sure enough there was Charley sitting not 20 yds away but this is not my land so that was that.

As the wind was blowing in his direction I thought well we are here let's just go to the other side of the field and see if he might come over the hedge. So parked up and start calling again, but to no avail, so I shone the light op the hedge we were parked beside to see a pair of eyes looking back at me just 50 yds away. The lads had not seen him so I asked them real nice like to wake up and Millpool got off the back of the truck and came to the bonnet (hood for those over the pond) as I put the light on he was heading away from us I held him with a loud squeal and Millpool took a few seconds to compose himself, and rightly so and the next there was a crack, a thwack and I looked to see a big row of shinny teeth :blink:

s1stis7.jpg

Well after a few minutes of slapping him to bring him back to our world he and my son were back on board to knock over a few rabbit, and I mean a few. It was a strange night, one minute it was warm the next it would go cold and the wind would pick up for 1/2 an hour and then warm again. Well after a few hours of next to no shooting, and I can tell you these are long hours when we are used to shooting 20 plus rabbits a night, not that I am complaining as I wouldn't dare, 1 rabbit or 51 is a great night out when you are in the right company.

Well time was getting on and the old boy get tired quickly these days so we decided to call it a night, but just before we head for home I wanted some carrots from the field next to us. On arrival to the carrot field I saw two pair of eyes, so lamp out told the lads what I had seen so they were out and onto the back in a minute or two. With everyone ready I put the lamp on to see them in the same places. Now although they were both in range the carrot tops are high so the finding of them would be a little like a needle and hay stack. I put my wood pecker call on the roof but they didn't take any notice. We waited a little while in the dark and I started to call as I started to call I put the lamp on to see the closest one not taking any notice at all but the one at the top of the field was in a hurry to find the poor injured rabbit or mouse that was making such a noise.

Well it was only a few calls that got this lad into just 45 yds and a 50gr V-Max sent him to meat his maker. This was nearing 0.30 -01.00 hrs and it was a still as the grave at this point but even the report of his .223 made no difference to the other fox. I tried and I tried but this one was to busy to want to do anything else. Millpool made the decision that he was able to take the shot as it was little over 100yds and he could see the head and white bib. He asked me if he should take the shot and I told him it was safe and if he thought he was able then he should. Millpool has not had a lot of practice at shooting at this range in the dark as although he has been out with me on many occasions it has mostly been with a .22 So I was very pleased that he thought about the shot and asked about it, well done pard. It was just a few seconds later his rifle barked out and fox number 3 was down and out.

2inthecarrotsof6.jpg

Was he chuffed or what, my son took his 12g with him as we walked out to find these two, the first one was easy enough but the second took a little looking for, I came across her in a small clear spot motionless that was until I bent down to pick her up and her head flew around and her pearly whites were snapping like a croc on speed. They two found it highly amusing to see me almost on my arse in the carrots. Luckily my son had his 12g and it was lights out.

So back to the truck and drag out his first one so he can have a pic of the 3 of them, although he looks a grumpy git in the pics he was actually a very happy bunny. Well after checking the vixen to see if he had missed the clean shot it turned out she was hit square in the chest but she had other things on her mind rather than dieing.

Well foxes disposed of and now it was down to getting some carrots or so I thought but a quick look with the lamp showed another pair of eyes at the top of the field. I didn't realise Millpool could move so fast, in his haste he zipped his rifle bag up in stead of opening it, well that set my son and I off and all we could hear was " stop taking the p*ss" As if we would, the giggling stopped and Millpool was back on the back of my truck and rifle to the ready. I gave a few calls and put the lamp on to see this one bounding down through the carrots, I have never seen a fox bound like this before my springer spaniels do it all the time in long grass but this was a first for me. I kept the lamp on him and he was obviously hungry as there was nothing getting in his way.

At 35-40 yds I stopped him and again a 50gr V-Max hit it's mark and Millpool had the biggest grin, I think he might remember that night for a little while to come.

trevors4thaq2.jpg

No more Joana pard your bad streak is broken, I told you ages ago to change you after shave it might help you :blink: It was worth going out and getting freezing cold and soaking wet just to see the grin on his face that night, absolutly brilliant.

Well nigel a very enjoyable read :blink: :blink:

Well done too millpool a cracking night out with the lads!!!!!!!!!! :blink::huh:

All the very best....................

RAY.................................. :D:(

Guest 308Panther

Good to hear Millpool was the Star of the show for a bit

Seems he did break his bad streak,Good for him...

Grumpy lookin?,Man..... thats an understatement.

Better find him some happy pills...So he at least cracks a smile.

308Panther

great write up nigel,and a big THANKYOU" FROM ME! its a real pleasure to be out lamping with some one who really nows what their doing and is willing to share that knowledge with others like me ,nigel is a bit of a master at the "black art" of lamping ,and its all credit to him that i now have the foxes and the hundreds of rabbits we have accounted for this year, as always a great night out ,and despite the fact that thinks i,m senile !! and that i need to be in bed by 10pm! i am looking forward to what i hope wil be many more nights "out with the lads" onve again ,thanks nige oh! and in case anyone is interested the rifle is a cz heavy barrel varmint with the hs presion stock 50grn vmax and a nightforce nxs scope all toped off with a t8 moderator,trigger job by silent ,who liked the rifle so much he went out and bought one! so they must be good !!! :blink::blink::blink:

Panther if you had a life like his you would look like that too pard :blink:

Dave, you are so right, I remember when my daughter started coming out with me and she wanted to see me call and shoot a fox it was over 12 months before she saw it happen. Every night I'd go out without her I'd have a fox or two but when she was there it just wasn't going to happen. But now Millpool when from zero to hero in one evening.

Millpool you are very welcome pard, and I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Guest 308Panther
Panther if you had a life like his you would look like that too pard ;)

I think I may have to have the mornin coffee BEFORE I start reading...

Or start keepin the paper towel at my desk.

Gotta wipe off the monitor...

308Panther

You may well laugh pard, but you should spend an hour or three in the compony of his wife, I love her dearly but he will tell you himself she has a mean temper, Ask Varminter he has seen it, she makes Sadman Insain seem like a girls blouse ;)

Now wipe up the coffe you missed running down the sid of your monitor :D

Way to go Millpool a job well done looks like you aint no jonah anymore. very good write up and very good team work i bet he wont forget that night

Guest 308Panther

Its been my experience that ALL women have the potential...or at least the ones I dated did.

The only secret I have is when she asks " What are you thinkin?"

;)

308Panther

Archived