Setting adjustable stocks up

Guest richness

Guest richness

Hi guys :)

I've got a new adjustable stock and it has made me realise how important the tension in your grip, shoulders etc are. I'm playing about with the settings and wondered how you guys set yours up...

My inclination has been to:

lengthen the length of pull (make stock longer)

Cant the buttpad to the RIGHT about 8degrees (ALWAYS shot prone, this rifle is)

Lift the cheekpiece up an inch as i have a big high scope.

Should i be setting this thing up for sheer shooting comfort or are there rules as to the effective management of recoil for peak accuracy? (which is far more important to me)

It's just i had a "straight" HS Precision before and i shot it so well. This "upright" tactical stock will behave differently under recoil?

Thanks for your thoughts, Richard Utting

Hi rich,

Im 6 ft 5 and when I get a new rifle or stock the first thing I do is to set the stock length of pull as my arms are very long I take a 15.5 inch length of pull, any more or less and i cant get the right hand placement on the stock to provide a consistent straight pull rearward.

Also I favour adjustable trigger blades as my hands and fingers are quite large so I can get correct finger placement.

I have a neck on me like a giraffe so an adjustable cheekpiece is also a must.

When I get all of these things setup so that im comfortable behind the rifle and im not stressing or straining or using muscles to pull the rifle into place unnaturally then im ready to go shoot and only then.

I know im wasting my time if I dont get comfortable first. I find I can shoot from any position comfortably after this is achieved.

Being above average in size is a pain in the ass sometimes to get guns to fit me let alone a pair of trousers long enough. :)

It pays to spend time getting comfortable with the rifle first off and everything else will fall into place.

Garry

Archived