Lamping Tonite

kip270

Tonight has been the first time i have been able to get out lamping for a while due to work commitments, so we headed out at about 7.30, my son was the lamp man, and i was using my .222.

The first field produced nothing, then we scanned the second and a fox was crossing from the left to right at around 150 yards, i rested on a fence post and squeaked, the fox stopped, i placed the cross hairs on it's chest and squeezed off my shot, the fox dropped, i reloaded another round and looked again at the fox and it was up and heading off :D:D:o My son squeaked again and it stopped for a second shot, we heard the bullet strike but it still made off :blink::blink: My sights are smack on as i shot a crow at 234yards the other week!!!! I was not happy, and we spent the next hour or so having a good look round for it, but failed to find it.

We headed off, with me not a happy chappy, then my son spotted another fox on a bank, so we got to a good firing point and i settled down for the shot, looking threw the scope i could see the fox led down(looked like a collie dog when sheep trialing), i placed the scope on it's shoulder and squeezed off my shot, i saw the fox flop in the scope as my bullet found it's mark, at 100 yards i was now happy, one fox in the bag.

My son went off to collect it, a nice Dog fox,

IMG00245.jpg

We were both happy, and headed down to another field some 100 yards away, my son got up on a small bank and scanned the field, there was another fox heading away from us, at around 120 yards, i got up and rested on the fence post, my son squeaked the Fox turned to look, i squeezed off my shot and number two was in the bag. When we picked it up it was a head shot another Dog fox,

IMG00248.jpg

IMG00249.jpg

We didn't see anymore, not a bad night, but i was not happy about the first fox, i know it happens but still don't amke it any better :lol:

Good on ya Kip, it's great to be out enjoying the sport with your kids, I am often out with mine. It make me smile to think they would rather be out with me than stuck in the house with a play station or out with there mates on the streets. I have had the same thing happen to me on several occasions, you know the bullet hit the mark and some times you see them on the ground but when you get there they have gone, although you know the shot will kill them it is not a nice feeling not knowing how long they will suffer. Deer stalkers say to use enough gun, well I took Varminter out one night on his land and he hit this fox with his 6.5x284 and there was blood everywhere but although he followed the trail 50 yds down the hedge and then over a 8 ft. hedge and then he followed it up the next field 40-50 yds it was never found, so how much gun do you need? A fox is a born survivor and it knows how to survive without any help from others, how many of us have seen 3 legged foxes and they are very healthy? Unfortunately it is one of these horrible things we have to live with.

Nice result Kip always good to get something when you havnt been out for a while,i once done the same thing as you did on the first fox,at one point i couldnt get hold of v-max from the gun club so he sold me some soft points ,i couldnt figure out why some of the fox's shot ran on for a while there was no exit wound so didnt know they were traveling right through untill one was standing by a bank i shot it and saw the dust kick up behind it and it droped a few yards on only to get up and make off a second shot droped it again but it still got into thick cover,needless to say i didnt load anymore untill i got hold of v-max heads never had a problem since

Archived