two for the new rifle

foxshot

Went out last night with my shooting buddy ,he recently purchased a winchester stealth in 223,when he first got it he was geting poor results accuracy wise,he was lucky to get an inch group at 100 yards using factory ammo,he also purchaced a scope from me ,now i know this scope was a good scope on my old remi ,time after time i told him to start reloading but he wouldnt listen ,he was geting paranoid about the new rifle and scope,so i loaded ten rounds of what i used in my old set up, he reluctantly try'd them and suprise suprise the accuracy increased greatly so now he has seen the light and the results you can get by home loading and has now purchased a reloading kit,as he hadnt had a kill with the rifle i left my ackley at home ,as normaly we would take it in turns to shoot and he has been without a rifle for a while and all the last fox's were shot with my rifle,the night started of with heavy rain and quite a strong wind, ,the first fox we saw was to far away to shoot in such strong wind ,eventualy we spoted a fox that came into the call,by now the rain had eased off but it was fair windy ,this fox sat at about 150 yards and wouldnt come any closer,so my mate got down aimed a little off to allow for the wind and sent a 50gr v-max on its way resulting in a first kill with his rifle,all the ground was moorland and i was suprised at how many fox's we saw, another was spoted a litle further on this time he was only about 100 yards away again another fox down for him, he also missed one later on in the night but by now the rain was heavy again and the wind a bit stronger so we called it a night dscf0050sl1.jpg

i beleive they were remington 50 gr v-max,but because he was happy with the accuracy with these in his old cz he assumed that he would get the same in the winchester,it took some time to convince him every gun shoots different even though they are the same cal,thats why i loaded some before he tryed any other factory ammo and he was happy with the results

Get him to try the Federal with bts they usually shoot very well, I get the same groups with them in the 22-250 as with lovingly prepared Handloads!, damn, will have to experiment even more :blink:

But seriously factory ammo, or some of it has improved in the last few years and is a good bet for those who dont want to invest in hand loading right away or at all. Hornady's own ammo is good too if available locally. The ammo with nosler bts in is equally devastating and every bit as good quality by the way.

I shoot a reasonable amount and handloading does pay off on savings, but if I was starting out and having to buy all the kit, it would really be a non starter on price and the improvements in accuracy for std calibres wouldn't really justify the outlay.

You have shown him that all ammo isnt the same, hopefully he will get a box of each and try them out, it isnt necessary to re-zero the rifle , use a decent sized target or several and just shoot for a group to find which is best and then start zeroing with what it likes best.

Have fun :blink:

Redfox

Well redfox thanx for that ,he is a bit stubborn sometimes,and he didnt want to pay out for other brands only to find out they were no good,that is why i loaded some for him,i told him if he bought the kit i would give him 100 once fired lapua cases,a couple of hundred primers and a tub of benchrest powder,as i now use H4895 so this saved him a bit of money,he is now loading his own using my old load which he is happy with,it just took a bit of explaining to him how to do it

Archived