Some advice please

adam.box

This may sound very basic for you guys, but I'm just getting started so some advice would be really appreciated please.

I have just recieved a new Leupold 6.5-20x 50mm objective lense scope. My rifle is a Rem 700 with picatinny/weaver rail. I bought some 30mm mounts but the scope is sitting approx 15mm off the barrel at the front lense. Will this make much of a difference with accuracy? And do I need to get lower mounts to get closer to the barrel? The rifle is .204 used for foxes out to normal lamping ranges (200yrds approx), but I will look to shooting longer distances during the day at rabbits/targets.

Please let me know your thoughts

ATB Adam

They must be some high mounts or a very thick rail.

Ideally the scope should sit a little lower, for your eye position as much as anything, you might not get a good cheek weld without some packing or a karsten type riser.

That said. I have found that with a scope mounted lamp. If the scope is low it can pick up a lot of reflected light from the back of your mod.

Rup

The height of the scope above the axis of the bore willnot effect accuracy but as Oaken said you may well need a cheek raiser or an adjustable stock to make the gun fit you properly i.e. when you put your head on the stock you should be looking straight through the middle of the scope without having to move your head. If your mount to the gun is inconsistant tha might cause some accuracy issues. haveng a high scope may cause this to happen because you will probably have to lift your head off of the stock to get the right scope eye alinement. I would sugest that even with low mounts you will still suffer from this problem to some degree. Most rifles are strangely designed so sight eye alignment is perfect with open sights apart from varmint stocks or adjustables.

Good luck

Dave

Archived