Afternoon all

Alan, without being contraversial, I would suggest that the craft you learn from air rifle shooting and the sheer versatility of a well set up kit would allow more (volume) success than FAC / centrefire. What else can allow you to shoot 2,500 rabbits off a problem piece of land with consideration to walkers and rough track cyclists - who think EVERY patch of land is theirs to roam over !!!! - for £60.00, and secure you 2 more permissions. Don't diss the air !! I now shoot less when taking out the FAC sticks due to the need to be ABSOLUTELY belt and braces safe as to overshoot, backstops, the public etc etc etc - not that I am not with the HW100.

Hi guys,

I'm just breaking into the FAC world, as I'm getting peed off with the restrictions/limitations of my air rifle.

I hope to learn lots while not upsetting too many (at first anyway).

Cheers,

Alan

Hi,

Welcome on board. I'm a 'newbie' myself but the volume of skill and experience on UKV is incredible. Civilised and informed discussion from some of the best informed shooters on the net,

Cheers

Alan W.

To add a little more info:

I have been shooting for over three years on a coupl eof permissions. In the last 6 months IO have managed to secure much more. The fields are substantially bigger too, hence I need something with more reach and as Fox is now on the menu, something with a fair bit more clout is required. I reckon I've managed to land about 400 or so acres (some of which is primarily to get rid of some problem foxes).

I have been out with a mate firing his HMR, .22LR and .22-250 (all of which I have asked for on my FAC application) as well as doing my own thing. Nearly all my permissions have public access on them and are frequently occupied with stock animals.

I appreciate what is said about the skills developed using the airrifle, but the limits imposed by only having 12ft/LBS available are hampering me.

Anyway, as said, I look forward to learning lots, so keep it coming.

Cheers for the welcome.

Alan, I was in a gun shop recently listening to a customer asking all the wrong questions and being given totally the wrong advice by the shop chap eager to make a sale. Said customer should not even have had a ticket such was his aggressive manner.

Your approach is to be applauded.

Find a mentor. Build up your skills. Ask the questions, even it is sounds daft. Practice and get to know the characteristics of a calibre in your rifle. I found the guys at Minsterley Ranges great to give advice on setting up a rifle, zeroing and general do's and don'ts. I personally would love to invest in a day at Andrew Venables' range in Wales to learn just how far 600 yards is and how to stretch the .223. .22LR is not my favourite due to richochet - personal experience. I love my .17HMR for vermin and fox. It is effective, insanely accurate and I have absolute confidence where every round goes. There again it is a calibre that draws negative opinion due to "wind", but keep it real at 70 - 150 metres and it is a highly effective (fox max 100)

The most important rule for my is to know my ground day and night. Keep your paperwork and emergency numbers with you. I have one permission where I have stopped shooting due to dog walkers who feel free to trespass. Too much stress !!!!!

Most of all enjoy.

Are you going to the CLA ??

David,

I have a mentor, walk 'my' land regularly days and nights (days usually without a rifle, just binos) and am very aware of walkers.

I have one permission where I haven't bothered as I can't seem to get any peace as the dog walkers seem to think the entire farm is there for their dogs toilet. It rankles quite a bit as I don't mind sheep poo nearly as much as dog poo, usually on knees and elbows, but elswhere occasionally too.

I doubt I'll manage the CLA, or much else - my wife has my calander pretty much spoken for <_<

Archived