Full length Brass

Guest rogern

Strangest thing happened tonight, I was full length resizing some once fired Winchester brass for a CZ .204 using a Lee Die.

I also have about 60 hornady cases that needed resizing, so leaving the die in exactly the same position I lubed the hornadys and ran them through the die.

When I tried them in the rifle the bolt was really tight, the winchesters are perfect, so I wound the die down a fraction more and ran the hornadys through again, this time they are spot on.

Now i know (or think i know) that this must be a headspace issue, but why the difference, nothing was altered between both operations yet the hornadys were tight, so now I must have bumped the shoulder back further on them that the winchesters.

By the way, both lots were fired in the same rifle, my Howa which has been sold, thats why I was Full Length sizing for the CZ.

How can this be

PS. Posted on PFS as well.

Chemical composition of the brass - some is just more springy than other.

Get an RCBS Precision Micrometer for your cal and use that for both headspace when resizing and OAL when loading - It is the easiest way of getting near perfection on case length and an OAL to ogive on all reloads.

Archived