6mm BR build ideas

Hi

I have finally got my FAC back from variation and now have a slot for a 6mmBR

I am looking at more of the custom gun as only ones I can find in factory chamber are single shot RPA and Blaser

I currently have a Sako 223 sat in McMillan stock which is something that I would like similar in 6mm

What is the shortest barrel you recommend as I currently have 18 inch, Do not want too long as it will be used in and out of vehicles

Also what twist?

Anybody been there and done it? Any thoughts gratefully received

Thanks

James

Hi

I have finally got my FAC back from variation and now have a slot for a 6mmBR

I am looking at more of the custom gun as only ones I can find in factory chamber are single shot RPA and Blaser

I currently have a Sako 223 sat in McMillan stock which is something that I would like similar in 6mm

What is the shortest barrel you recommend as I currently have 18 inch, Do not want too long as it will be used in and out of vehicles

Also what twist?

Anybody been there and done it? Any thoughts gratefully received

Thanks

James

Hi

u should see decent mv with the lighter bullets 55-65 with a short tube altho u may struggle for a long range load!

heres a good read for the lighter stuff!

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3603338&trail=8

cheers Adny

Guest Scotland_Rifles

well

here is mine

tikka 590 action

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=962

5 profile 22" Walther SS barrel threaded 14/1

McMillan's hunter stock fully glass bedded with alloy floor plate.

Ase mod

using a 22.250 5 shot mag that works flawlessly.

zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid Z 800 scope

the rifle is just a tad over 12 lbs as it is above and runs the 70 gr nosler for vermin very well, and the 100 gr spbt for deer just as good as any other i have used.

bob.

speed is not everything accuracy does a far better job.

:)

Guest Scotland_Rifles

Thats a nice rifle you got there. :wub: :wub: :wub:

cheers bud,

well it set me back a fare bit inc the sale of a 243 set up, but boy was this worth it, here is a wee writeup i did.

well it says a lot about a rifle, its calibre and its build quality when a lad thats never shot a full bore rifle hits a rabbit then a crow just feet apart and both at just over 300 yards,

the pictures are grainy but the shooting was just spot on,

i had about 15 shotsm out to 250 and 280 yards on these rabbits on one shoot that is now showing signs of rabbit infestation, so i took my mate along for his firs long range shoot with a full bore,

we sat back about 8pm with the hummers and popped a few off out to about 160 yards etc and then we moved up to the top of the vally. as mantioned i took some shots out to 250 and more to let him see what the br can do,

well i need not have bothered, his first shot was just over 250 and then i spotted the 3 rabbits away on a far green, so i sain have a go mate,

the scope is the zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid Z 800, well he got on to the target and down it went, and just as we finished talking about how far away it was a passing crow dropped like a stone to have a look at the stricken rabbit and he took aim and down it went,

well they where both within 3 feet of each other, so with a tail wind from r to l of 5 mph i think he did rather well. the range to target was just over 303 yards and 304 yards on the bunny,

i will not post the pictures of the rabbit hand puppet or the crow but the attached picture will show,

the red ring is the crow and bunny area and the yellow ones are some of the other shots taken last night.

bob.

sorry i can't get the picture to work Attached to this post:attach.png phone_008.jpg (191.58 KB)

Tidy looking rig Bob and some class shooting,i to will be going down the 6br road shortly geting one of the boys from here to build it providing the bank will be kind to me and a variation is granted,but i want to be shooting the heavier bullets to stretch things out a bit

Looking to get a custom action,1 in 8 26" border barrel(wont know full spec untill i discuss it with the builder),aics stock,screwcut for a mod

6mm BR built by Rhino Rifles, J Pierce single shot action, Broughton match barrel, Bell & Carlson semi tactical stock, J Pierce mounts MK4 Leupold custom ret, third eye mod. It shoots 80gn Bergers at 3273 fps with ragged one hole groups :D

Bansko2018.jpg

Guest Scotland_Rifles

Tidy looking rig Bob and some class shooting,i to will be going down the 6br road shortly geting one of the boys from here to build it providing the bank will be kind to me and a variation is granted,but i want to be shooting the heavier bullets to stretch things out a bit

Looking to get a custom action,1 in 8 26" border barrel(wont know full spec untill i discuss it with the builder),aics stock,screwcut for a mod

sounds very nice.

i use the 70gr for all vermin but the box of 100gr will be hit hard soon as the deer start to moved of the estate, let us see the rifle when its done in all its full glory.

bob.

I have a 6mmbr sat in the cupboard doing nothing Spec is Sako 3 action, spiralled bolt ,blueprinted bedded into a MCmillan Sako varmint stock in green & white marble with a Sako PPC magazine. Built by Steve Kershaw. I had her rebarreled with a Lawton barrel by Chris - he also did the load development using 60gn Bergers, Off the top of my head the barrel is a 10 twist by can't remember exactly and the load is very soft because I was going to use it for my night sight but have decided to stick with my 22br. I have a Northstar mod for it to. The new barrel has shot 10 rounds plus load development and overall gun is as new. I could be talked into selling her for about £2k or swap for a milling machine

Guest Scotland_Rifles

well if find anyone up for a 6mm br then i know where to point them,

some nice rifles here,

all i can say is where was i when i had the chance a while ago, too slow me thinks,

anyway i have one now and im enjoying it.

bob.

You are asking for ideas but have not said what you want it for or how you are intending to use it. If its a carry rifle then maximum Shilen number 5 profile barrel to keep the weight reasonable. You wont want to be carrying a 15lb rifle + scope + mod + bipod very far I can assure you. But if you are target shooting with a bit of 4x4 fox work then the world is your oyster. Seem a few good rifles built on SAKO and Tikka actions. I posted here yesterday that a couple of weeks ago Norman Clarke had a cheap (£325) doner Sako 308. Shove a barrel and McMillan under that and you should be good to go.

A

Hi

Question for borden,can you give the specs on your rifle please ie stock,action,barrel and builder etc?I am thinking of getting a 6br and would be very interested to know the details.

Cheers

Finished this one yesterday for a customer who picked it up today.

6mmBr Valkyrie, in single shot. It has a Lilja 3 groove 1 in 8" twist, screwcut, and invisible cap. Jewell trigger, duracoated bolt knob, and a dummy mag.

He wanted benchrest tolerances, so went single shot.

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

Seems to be popular gain, this cartridge.

Archived