Another Friday night

charly hunter

Well as per usual Doug and myself were out terrorising the countryside on Friday night, Well would have been if there was anything about, no wind and a full moon, and so quiet Doug and I was arguing whether it was a srew or a hedgehog we heard fart in the next field. Well I took him over to an area that over looks a long wood and a railway line runs across in front of us which normally hold a few foxes. I haven't called here for some time as it has been in crops and it wasn't possible to shoot it. But after 10 minutes of calling the only thing that cam to the call was a barn owl, which is always nice to see but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Well the next stop should be good as I have had a lot of foxes here over the years and now the maize has been cut it must be worth a crack. Here the moon came out in all it's glory to show us up to everything nocturnal and that can see better in the dark than we will ever be able to, so we were off to a good start. Well another 10-15 minutes have pasted and the only thing we saw was the farm cat sitting outside the farmhouse door licking his paws with a smug look upon it's face as if to say "well it was easier for me to catch what I wanted". Well it was looking pretty grim but I stuck it out and after several minutes waiting in the shadows of the hedge I began to call again but this time with a lot more feeling in the call now when the lamp came on we saw a pair of tell tail lights looking through a gateway at us. Lamp out and I put my all into the calling and after a few minutes he started to walk very casualy across to our left. Doug being a left handed shooter took the lamp and I took the rifle, at this point this fox was in it's own world and couldn't care less about my calling so at 80 yds I gave him a shout, well two or tree actually to get him to stop, Doug held the lamp still and the moon disapeard and the wind blow a litttle but it wasn't enough to put me off my aim and like a whip cracking my bullet found it's mark and my fox was in the bag.

Well by now we had been out nearly 2 hours and all we had for our time and work was the one fox, now I was having to use my head to think hard where I haven't been for a while and where we might find a fox a bit easier. I don't care if we don't shoot them but it's nice to see some sign that they are about. Well two farms later we saw another pair of eyes, but after calling and waiting and calling again that is all we saw was the eyes. By midnight we were getting wet and my mouth was dried out through all the calling I had done, so wee finished the night with the one fox and just 3 or 4 rabbits. Very unusal night, I expected to see a lot more rabbits about that we did also, maybe they new the weather was changing, not sure what it was but that is the quietest night I have had in a long, long time. But thats a good thing, I think we must have bad days/night that way the good ones seem even better.

bigdogoneddiespf0.jpg

Great story Nigel ;) ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

When the hunting comes hard like that it makes the " easer " ones that more tasteful..........

Buy the look of it though buddy that fox was sure worth the wait!!

Its in lovely condition and size , You like dougies rifle then!!! ;) ;)

I need to get out soon myself Nigel , i have been doing too much overtime and need some time out hunting therapy!!!! :D :D

All the best...............

RAY.................................................. :D :D

At least you had a result ;) we always go out with such high expectations and some times the reality doesn't live up to it. Still nights can often be problematic.

Keep up the good work.

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Many many times I have wondered whats really worse,

Seeing nothing.

Or seeing something but its a bad shot,

Seeing something and ya got the wrong gun for the job.

308Panther

Cheers Ray I did take my rifle with me but it was on the back seat, so I had to use what was at hand, at that time though I had worked so hard I would have beat it with a fence post if I could have caught it ;) He was in great condition a slightly short tail and about 3 - 4 years old with a damaged canine tooth.

Dave the only result that really matters is that you have a good time with good company, everything else is a bonus pard.

Hi Trebor it does make a change for me to be shooting, that's the first time I have shot anything since the last time ;) and that was a while ago because you buggers normally make me drive and you push me off the back ;)

Panther we have to have bad days and night pard that way we appreciate the good one all the more. Seeing and missing a few just makes us think harder about the shot next time around, and hopefully we learn from our mistakes, well some do, me I just seem to like hard work ;)

Guest 308Panther

I try to take the bad with the good...

For example this mornin(Sun)...

Went Goose huntin...only had high flyers,So I at least seen a few.

On the way down seen a fox but since it was on the highway....no shot

Seen a woodcock....but was busy settin up the dekes,

After awhile of nothin happenin,grabbed the .17HMR and took a walk,

Kicked up a bunny and missed a chance at a shot as he got into the really deep stuff before I got the cross hairs on it.

Had a squirrel dancin on the lot line then head for the other side when he seen me....again for more of the really thick stuff.

Last weekend I was up at the folks....

No deer comin in for a shot with the bow.

No turkeys around...I have yet to take out a fall turkey.....Completely differant bird then Spring Turkey.

Check my uncles farm for squirrels....on two differant occasions I have taken my limits (5 squirrels)for a total of 10 and there were plenty left.And by plenty I mean more then another 10 as I wanted to have some for later on ....and there was a Black Squirrel I seen that I wanted as well.

2 days of sitting and I only worked up one squirrel.

And the Black Squirrel was nowhere to be found....

Day 2 I found out why....the neighbors have been shootin them.

Now I hope they(neighbors) have been stayin on their side of the fence line...

and I couldnt prove it if they werent anyway...unless I actually caught them in the act.

Wildlife doesnt know boundries like we do.So I have to give the neighbors the benefit of the doubt.

But when ya catch them in the act of draggin a deer across the land without permission ya gotta wonder.

My uncle doesnt hunt...so he wouldnt know what to look for,and he has a black thumb so he isnt much of a farmer either...He is retired and pretty good at holdin down a bar stool.So that would give the neighbors the chance and he would never know it.

308Panther

Panther you say "you have taken your limit" of 5 squirles, am I to understand that there is a bag limit on them in your state?

Sounds like you have some good neighbours, we call them Poachers here pard. and they need to be caught on there own with no whitnesses :blink: Pain in the butt if you have traveled there to shoot just to find that some guy has been there just hours before you arrive and you end up with nothing for your troubles. Some folks over here are the same they just can't help themselves, they always think the grass is greener on your side.

Guest 308Panther

Hi Nigel,

Yup.... 5 Squirrel bag limit per day. and an on hand limit of 10 or 2x the daily bag limit.

Turkeys... if I get tags. 1 in Spring and/or 1 in Fall

Pheasants...2 per day not to exceed 4 on hand.Roosters only. if its a dog trainer bird it must be tagged as a trainer.Some public lands they do release hens so its ok to shoot them but only on those grounds and ya gotta use certain leg tags....

It gets more complicated when ya mention water fowl and other migratory birds.

Fox has a season but no bag limits.Same for coons. :blink:

Coyotes year round no bag limits,same for Snowshoe Hare (I live to far south for these)

Cottontail Rabbits has a season and a limit of 3/day on hand limit of 6.

If your up for some very dry reading....or have a little trouble sleepin some night

Take a look...

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/

The county I live in is Milwaukee County and from the Bottom Right Corner (South East)

its the 3rd from the bottom....Even tho its shown on the State maps in the Regs there is NO

Hunting,Trapping or Shootin in Milwaukee County. Except in Waterfow and you must be so many feet or yard off the shoreline and in a floating blind,No Motor.....Trust me ya dont want to shoot Lake Michigan Ducks or Geese...PCB's,Sewege and other nasty things.

There is a 3 fish limit /week rule on eatin fish on Lake Michigan.

308Panther

Well Panther we may have some crazy gun legislation, but our game/ hunting laws basically fit on two A4 sheets and are pretty liberal. I wouldnt swap you for yours at any price, they are very restrictive and cover all kinds of things not even the barmy Europrats have dreamt up. You would enjoy it over here for sure particulalry with those Cornish Piskeys ( they will explain that)

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

Redfox,

My laws suck,Your laws suck...Too bad we cant toss them both and just hunt.

I was told there is a place that has No crooked Politicians,No Lawyers,

No Helmet laws,No Gun laws,No Huntin laws,No game limits,No catch and release.

Its called Heaven!!!

:lol:

308Panther

Heaven is the only place it's likely to be like that pard. I am surprised that you have a bag limit on rabbits, gosh if we had that here we would be over run with them in no time. I regularly go out and shoot a dozen or more in just a few hours, and if the law changes and we end up similar to yours I will be selling my guns.

Your right CH, there is still on the books a law requiring landowners/ occupiers to control rabbits to prevent damage to crops etc, so we have that to fall back on. Wonder if our Aussie cousins have a bag limit on rabbits? :lol::lol:

Redfox

Nice write up ch like you say we all have good days and bad atleast you droped one we have had our fair share of crap nights local often resulting in no shot been fired thats why we travel further afield and like you say it makes the good nights all the better

Archived