importing / exporting firearms

ds1

Thought I would share some thoughts and tips on importing / exporting firearms from / to Europe and USA.

The first thing to realize is that it is going to take time and that the people you are dealing with need to be honest and aware of the time scale also. My last import from the USA took over six months and my last export to the USA took about six months also. Importing and exporting within Europe is about a 2 month afair.

Europe is fairly easy requiring an import permit before an export permit can be obtained. In CZ the police do this and I can get the paperwork done the same day if I am in a hurry. In the UK it is (was) the DTI (Department of Twats and Idiots) who take a month or two and will only speak to the person applying for the permit.

I have transported firearms by post and flown with them - flying, if it is one firearm was cheaper for me. It is worth noting what the excess charges are and purchasing extra weight if needed - I had to do this when flying with the AW50 in a metal case. Paperwork has been fairly straight forward - import / export permits and the appropiate firearms documents, though at Stanstead they wanted to see my EU FAC as well - which I have but it is sod all to do with them. The last time I bought a rifle into the UK and flew out on the next flight with another one the "exchange " was done at the customs point in Stanstead airport - painless.

The USA is a different story - you need the same import / export documents plus a DSP 83 form from the State Depatment, which cost 250 dollars. You cannot buy direct from an individual - you need an export company. ETSS Exports is the best, period. They will look after you and are also from my experience the cheapest. Things can get stressy when the export / import document has a week to run and the State Department has only just issued the permit - having had the application for several months, otherwise you need to start the paperwork again.

Technically you cannot broker the deal. The firearm is in effect sold by the seller to the export company who then sells it on to you. This is also why you need a very good company.

Also strange things are prohibited to be exported - rifles marked 7.62x51, but .308 Win is fine. Rifles with folding stocks, but detachable stocks are fine. Rifles with flash hiders but muzzle brakes are fine. Magazines holdig more than 10 rounds for example.

From the USA to CZ many companies like DHL, UPS etc will not transport the firearm. The best, cheapest and only way I have found it to use United States Postal Service(USPS) and Czech Post if exporting. Cost is about 100 dollars.

In short you really have to want something from the USA, it is a major ball ache to import it requiring a lot of time and trust with the people you are dealing with - the USA seller has to ship the firearm to the exporter and complete some paperwork. For small things like KNS pins I use Midway Uk and Bradders on here is excellent for AR triggers etc.

In CZ custom gunsmiths are almost non-existent so there is a need to import from the UK or elsewhere however importing from the USA I do not see a real price advantage once import permits, tax, exporters fees and postage are paid. Just a lot of hassel and stress with the paperwork.

David.

Archived