Milling machine for various riflesmithing

dorg

I am on the look out for a milling machine mainly for making adjustable cheek pieces and inletting work. I am new to metal work and would ask for any advise on machines and useful attachments. I have been looking and how useful is powered movement on the table and 3 axis dro. H ow powerful a motor is normal are any of the smaller machines any use, and how much travel in the table is needed. Which machines do you experts use?

If you have the room and a few grand to spend get a Bridgeport, they are arguably the best vertical mill on the market.

You will need a phase convertor unless you have a 3 pahse supply.

Depending on model, motors can be 1.5 to 2.0 HP with variable speed or belt drive, with rpm ranging from 50-3000.

They have a 42" table and i believe 26" inches of travel

A heavy duty 6" swivel base vice is a must for secure work holding

Power table feed is a nice luxury you dont need but you get anyway on the Bridgeport, digital readout is very useful on a mill but i would learn to use the dials with DR as a back up unless you are plotting coordiantes.

Also invest in quality tooling, cheap tooling will end up giving you a cheap looking job.

Ian.

I did my engineering milling training on bridgeport milling machines. They are not bad but you may have trouble getting one in good nick. They are a good medium size so are highly saught after as they fit into a medium garage workshop. I have used other mills and so far one of my favourtes has been an AJAX milling machine and I personaly think is more solid than bridgeport, they are a big machine and very solid/sturdy which is something which is very important. I have since been told by a good source that XYZ milling machines are very good solid machines for the money and are about the size of the bridgeports. I have not had a go on one yet.

Archived