.204 bullet types

Hi guys, just a quick question, how can you find out weather a .204 Ruger 1/12 twist rate barrel will stabiles a particular type of bullet, ie, 32 v-max should be fine, but how do you know weather 39grsblitz kings and 40 grain v -maxs will work ok.

Is there any way of telling?

Cheers guys

Steve.

yeah!shoot em!

a 1-12 will stabalize up to 50gn [it did in my .20]best for a 12 twist is 35-40gn[again my rifle]40gn bergers being the dogs dangglers.

Cheers thanks guys,

I have just ran the details for the 40 grain v max at 3800ftps in a 1/12 twist barrel and got 0.851 as a result?????

What sot of figure am i looking at, what figure represents a stabilised bullet?

Cheer and thanks again lads

Steve.

You need a figure of 1.3 for a stabilized bullet.

Ok cheers fella, I cant seem to get the 32 grain bullets or 40 grain bullets (V-Max) to be stable in a 12 twist barrel according to the caluclator??

Any idears ??

Steve,

Thanks again for you help fella, but how are you gettin them figures,im only gettin 1.087 for the 32 grain v-max with 4000 ftps and bullet lenght 0.639? and 1/12 twis rate?

Sorry to be a pain

Steve.

Guest Scotland_Rifles

this is what i got from my .20 Tacitcal data input

Stability Input Data

Caliber: 0.20 in

Bullet Weight: 40.0 gr

Bullet Length: 0.640 in

Muzzle Velocity: 4000.0 ft/s

Barrel Twist: 12.0 in

Temperature: 59.0 °F

Pressure: 1013.00 mb

Output Data Stability: 1.305

16/06/11 04:43, JBM/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

just makes it. on the above, but in the field its the mutts nuts, point and shoot out to 250 yards with a 1.5" higher POI at a 100 yard zero.

bob.

Ok cheers fella, I cant seem to get the 32 grain bullets or 40 grain bullets (V-Max) to be stable in a 12 twist barrel according to the caluclator??

Any idears ??

Steve,

STEVE- throw the fu**ing calculator in the bin-load some bulletts go out and shoot and see what results you get-the best computer in the world will not tell you what your loading technique/rifle /scope, idiot behind the trigger, combo will get you.i have never worked on the facts of a machine telling me what works in my rifles.

half of the knowledge you will learn with shooting is gleened from trial and error-just go enjoy yourself!

STEVE- throw the fu**ing calculator in the bin-load some bulletts go out and shoot and see what results you get-the best computer in the world will not tell you what your loading technique/rifle /scope, idiot behind the trigger, combo will get you.i have never worked on the facts of a machine telling me what works in my rifles.

half of the knowledge you will learn with shooting is gleened from trial and error-just go enjoy yourself!

I was just trying to establish, whick ones to select and look at working with, since living in the Isle of Man, I cant just nip to the local gun shop and buy a selection and try. Over here nobody stocks reloading components ..... if you want something, simply order it and wait, they may get to you within the next six months or so if you are lucky, so to try a few different loads and bullet types and have a play around is a bit more difficult for me, i simply and unforchantly just have to really go with a paticular type and run with that and buy in bulk!

Sorry again for asking so many daft questions but like I said we are very restricted for things and info over here, thats why i thought id ask you more experienced guys in the know.

Steve.

Hi guys, just a quick question, how can you find out weather a .204 Ruger 1/12 twist rate barrel will stabiles a particular type of bullet, ie, 32 v-max should be fine, but how do you know weather 39grsblitz kings and 40 grain v -maxs will work ok.

Is there any way of telling?

Cheers guys

Steve.

Berger say that 1 in 12 will stabalise their 40s but a search of another site I have just done suggests that 1 in 11 is the best way to go for 39-40 VMax SBKs etc.

A

I was just trying to establish, whick ones to select and look at working with, since living in the Isle of Man, I cant just nip to the local gun shop and buy a selection and try. Over here nobody stocks reloading components ..... if you want something, simply order it and wait, they may get to you within the next six months or so if you are lucky, so to try a few different loads and bullet types and have a play around is a bit more difficult for me, i simply and unforchantly just have to really go with a paticular type and run with that and buy in bulk!

Sorry again for asking so many daft questions but like I said we are very restricted for things and info over here, thats why i thought id ask you more experienced guys in the know.

Steve.

STEVE- i wasnt having a pop -but i see your predicament why not order via tinterweb all match bullets can be posted.

I did a lot of reading up on this subject before i got my 204 and if people were having problems it seemed to be more likely with the 40g V-max.

My rifle shoots them reasonably well but they are said to be borderline for a 1-12 twist barrel.

I use 39g B/kings and 32g V-max with no problems, but as other people have said it`s best to try them and see.

Guest richness

Excellent :D

I quite agree :)

My 2p would be: 39gr always shoot. Just always mate. 40gr Vmax probably the least popular of the 20cal heads. It's fine but it isn't a go-to bullet by any means, and this seems doubly the case in factory 1/12s.

If i had to try one head it would be the 39gr SBK.

But no, I'm not sure there's a way I trust to find out what will stabilise other than the fire it and measure it approach ;)

Archived