Furthest so far

charly hunter

Last Wednesday, Doug and I were out for a nose about as we often do during the week, it was another lovely Autumn day with a watery sun in a cold blue sky, a little breeze which was cool enough if you were out of the sun. The farmer has sown a very expensive winter barley and has had some rabbit damage already so we would have a look while we were out that way. This particular field was facing the wind and it was obviously to cold for Conney to be out feeding so we left for a warmer spot and to see if we could get some longer range coney's.

Well after a wonder over a couple hundred acres we finally found some customers, the fist two were 120 and 130 yds. Not long range for some of you buggers on here I know but it was getting on in the afternoon and other that a magpie at 115 the rifle hadn't been out to play. Well this pair were in the bag and now the wind was getting colder, and you know how it is the longer you wait the colder it feels. By now I was looking through the bino's from inside the truck and Doug was on the back waiting to see what was going to play, if anything. Now Doug was looking in the same area as the other two I saw a rabbit on the other side of the next field. I pointed it out and Doug soon found it he dials in closes the bolt and before I could get the video camera cranked up the bullet had struck the other end of the field, and bunny hoped in the hole.

Doug not being certain of where the bullet struck picked out a rabbit hole just 10 yds this side of the rabbit which had a lot of soil around it so the strike could be seen easily, just as he was about to take the shot I stopped him as a magpie had landed just up the field a bit. This time the 40grn bullet took feathers from the bird but it flew over the hedge, but no further as it crumpled into the furze.

Now the rabbit hole was getting a shot and this time the shot was seen easily. After 5 minutes the rabbit came out of the same hole and this time my friend had the right amount of clicks and once again his 22-250 barks into life and as the shot echoed around the valley and out to sea it was followed by a very loud pop. I got out of the truck to see Doug with a huge big smile on his face as he just shot his longest ever rabbit at 370yds. He didn't care about the cold or if it was tipping down with rain, it didn't matter at this point in time. Maybe one day I will take a rifle and have ago myself :rolleyes:

370ydsbk6.jpg

Good shooting my man!!! :o:(

Some good varminting there nigel............. ;) ;)

All the very best...............

RAY........................................ ;) ;)

Archived