Starting a new business making laminated stocks

the basic wood stock is only 350 us dollars wich in my eyes for some lovely lainate is cheap their is 600 dollars of hardware thats not nedded

it like buying a car we can all get a cheap run a round to get us from point a to b ,but not everyone can afford a nice audi or bmw doesnt stop people getting finance and buying 1 and all the extras thats not needed like like alloy wheels they do the same thing as steel wheels but look nice ,everyone likes lifes little luxurys ,we only live once and cant take money to the grave with us

yes prices over here are higher ,but the taxes are higher the cost of living is higher fuel is higher ,so thats why we pay higher prices than the usa if we can get a guy here to build some nice stocks like the 1 shown we could save on export fees but the cost of wood is still high ,the work manship and electrics to produce a stock is still high

i would love to buy laminates of you if you could produce somthing as good as the 1 shown ,in all different forms of tactical and target and hunting styles

spud you wont go wrong with the set up you got - the robertson gb f-class would be my first choice for a fiberglass stock they are dogs danglers

and you got the right cal to

Hi Dorg,

I have been down this route myself, though not as a business venture, more just for producing stocks for friends etc.

I have built a machine which makes stocks, and is very accurate.

I think you will find that the laminate from the states and scandinavia will work out expensive, unless you are willing to buy a very large quantity at once.

I have had good results from making my own laminate, albeit not fancy coloured like the american/scandinavian stuff.

These are a few pics of a stock done in it, which happens to be the same stock posted earlier. It's not sanded much here so excuse the finish ;)

IMG00178-20100923-2230.jpg

IMG00175-20100923-2229.jpg

IMG00176-20100923-2229.jpg

This pic shows it during the making:

IMG00174-20100922-1735.jpg

Other stocks I've made include things like this:

SDC14672.jpg

PaulsStock001.jpg

IMG-20110207-00089.jpg

Drop me a pm mate and I can tell you things that I've discovered whilst messing around with stuff like this, or if you want someone to chip in with the cost of some laminate, I may be interested.

Paul

I for one would be very pleased to see a manufacturer of laminated stocks establish themselves in the UK.Due to the export policies of the loony left in the states it is becoming more difficult daily to get stuff from over there. We are seeing rifle actions being made in the UK ,triggers and other firearms related bits and pieces too which has got to be good for British shooters.The problem that I can foresee is that given the amount of riflemen here there is only a small market in comparison to the US that means that some of the economies of scale that are achieved by mass producing stocks say by Richards Microfit as an example will not be achievable in this country ,so the product will be more expensive though in my eyes it needs to be competitive ie the producer not wringing every last penny he can out of the sale price, no aspersions intended at sensible cash it is a damned good idea. The big problem here is our good old mate rip off Britain comes out to play on virtually anything shooting related.I am happy to see a business make a decent profit, but some of the gear we buy here is sold at three -four times stateside retail which to be honest means that some people are having our pants down bigtime in this country .

There was a glitch several months ago when the pound was extremely weak against the dollar and as a result prices went up considerably. The dollar sits around where I would say is around a 15 year average but the prices haven't come down.I could quote examples all day and there will be people coming out with arguments to say I am wrong but my whole point is this,a fairly priced quality product will sell well in the shooting community but we should not have to pay a heavy premium for the privilege

I thought I would try and beat the US prices.

The stock below is a direct copy(ish) of the Precision rifle and tool Ballard lowboy, made here in the UK (He is a member here but I'm not going to name him,it's his choice if he wants to)

IMG00179-20100923-2230.jpg

Again I'm not going to say how much the stock in the photo cost me exactly but it was less than £250, it's the add on's that cost.

Three way adjustable butt pad £125

Warner tool cheek piece riser £120 (Thanks Terry, not forgotten I owe you one)I then had to get the cheek piece cut out and the metal work installed, allow a minimum of £100

Although this stock hasn't been inlet I think you have to allow at least £100 - £150 to inlet.

And of course it needs coating, Hydrographics will cost you a minimum of £120

Now of course if one man can do all the work himself then the costs would be less, but as it stands, for me it would have been as cheap to buy direct from the US, but it has been educational and it will be a all UK made stock, including the metal work for the cheek piece riser.

Haha, Paul beat me too it. The person I wouldn't name is Bullet243.

Paul, do you still want the A5?

Ha, thanks Ian :lol:

I'm a little busy at the moment mate and have to go to India for a while with work, but when I return would you mind if i give you a bell and maybe arrange it then?

regards

Paul

Ha, thanks Ian :lol:

I'm a little busy at the moment mate and have to go to India for a while with work, but when I return would you mind if i give you a bell and maybe arrange it then?

regards

Paul

Absolutely Paul.

Fair point on the price scale Ian , the big value in some one making stock for the uk market in the uk is time scale from ordering, no customs BOO shame on you time wasters.

I if i know Dorg he will be looking at pallet prices for raw materials or tonne price, I realy hope some one takes this up soon we need this supply at home .

Fair point on the price scale Ian , the big value in some one making stock for the uk market in the uk is time scale from ordering, no customs BOO shame on you time wasters.

I if i know Dorg he will be looking at pallet prices for raw materials or tonne price, I realy hope some one takes this up soon we need this supply at home .

Hi Danny, Precision rifle and tool will have a stock to your door in about 3 weeks! but of course that could well change due to UK customs screw ups or similar.

I hope Dorg gets this off the ground but I think as Gary said in an earlier post will the demand be enough in the UK? but if he's running it alongside his other business then it could be a real possibility.

• 1 year later...

Dorg I have dropped you an email on your website for some reason I don't have the option to send a PM on here. I may be looking for one of your tactical stocks in the very near future. Here's a pic of a laminate stock I had made by Enda Walsh for my Steyr it's a stunner.

post-11217-0-09132500-1358981028_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-09786900-1358981074_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-44080000-1358981118_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-38837000-1358981135_thumb.jpg

Dorg I have dropped you an email on your website for some reason I don't have the option to send a PM on here. I may be looking for one of your tactical stocks in the very near future. Here's a pic of a laminate stock I had made by Enda Walsh for my Steyr it's a stunner.

Please ring me on 07770 710 331

Simon

Boyds in the states can sell them for around $100 plus shipping and they're pretty good ,I have two the biggest part of the expense is getting it here delivery costs ,import duty and then vat on the lot plus the charge by the carrier for paying the duty pushes the cost to almost £200 . If you can scource the materials you would be quids in .Buy a plywood press and make your own ;¬)))

Archived