Another damp one

charly hunter

We seem to be having a few wet evenings at the moment, I know we need some rain, just wish it wasn't on the nights I go out :D well the night before last Shrek turns up at my place just after dusk. He had seen his birds to roost and then thought he call in for a chat, well it wasn't long before we were on the subject of lamping, as you do! Well 10 minutes after that we were in our trucks going to his place to put his dogs to bed and so he could get his 6.5x55 after a few minutes I talked him into bringing his lurcher as well.

Everything seem well and good until we got to the first gateway and I realized I had left my battery pack home on charge still, never mind I always have 4 or 5 lamps so out with the next one, not fully charged but enough so Shrek could see with. Now it started to rain, I though to myself what else can go wrong.

Well I started to call and then out of nowhere the wind picked up and was right in our backs, but I continued to call for a few minutes and then way out across the field I caught a glimpse of eyes. I don't use the clue light for lamping these days, it's mainly used as a lamp when picking up the slain, and didn't I notice a difference in the range of it. The wind is against us, the lamp is not so good and we were getting wet, deep joy.

Well another squeak and on with the lamp and about 200 yds we could just see the eyes, I kept the lamp low and kept calling, Shrek rested his rifle on the gate and at 150 yds I stopped him and in the corner of my eye I saw the muzzle flash a loud crack and a thud across the field and it was game over for this chicken thief.

We walked out across the field to find it and it was then we realize how deep the grass is and we were thankful we brought his dog, as we got out toward the area where we thought it was we were in a deep depression in the field and the wind was blowing over us so Jenna was finding it hard to sent the fox, but without her we might not have found it. A nice conditioned dog fox with a rather large hole in the middle of it, these foxes are not going to run anywhere when hit with these bullets.

Well back in the truck, wet feet and all, off to the next area to give the dog ago on some rabbits, and on arriving it was looking very promising with several rabbits in the fist field, I drove through this one as it is not the best field to have a dog flying about in. Through the next gateway and unload the vehicle, a quick flick around with the lamp to see nothing :D

As we walked across the field I flipped the lamp on and in the corner was Charley and as quick as greased weasel sh*t Jenna was down the hedge and Charley got a big surprise, she was just yards from him before he knew what was on, now the race was on Jenna is a smart dog and it was almost like she knew the lamp was getting weaker and she tried to work him back toward the light. within a few seconds there was a loud thump and Charley was bold over but she just didn't get her teeth into him and he was up and away into the darkness.

When she came back she was stinking where old Charley had pi*@ed all over her, no wonder she let him go ;) Well by now she wasn't the only one that was pi$*ed wet through so it was home ward bound for us. That's 43 foxes in the last 3 months so wet or not I am smiling anyway. Oh! yeah I forgot my camera as well :D but I am going out with Doug in a while and I have got the camera with me this time.

Archived