A bit damp

charly hunter

Although it is still warm and I am not one that feels the cold, I had to put an extra layer on last night because of the drizzle and rain. Not the worst night but still not the best either. The lads did get a bit damp last night stood on the back of the truck so I thought I better put a shirt on as I didn't want them thinking that I had the nice seat in the dry ;) It did make the scopes harder to see through, the tissue was in and out the pockets last night. It was an odd night as the rabbits were very scarce in 2 & half hours Millpool had only shot 6 rabbits and that was it the other few we saw were very jumpy.

On top a very steep hill over looking two good valleys we parked up and listened for a minute or two, boy it was quiet we could her people talking about 1000 yds away so we new we had to be extra quiet, nights like this a fart will sound like thunder. Well I had a call shone the lamp, nothing, so another quick call and put the lamp back on to see a fox coming up the field from the bottom left hand side, lamp off check that Doug has seen it and a few quiet squeaks, lamp on and he was in front of us about 50 yds as the lamp came on he started to walk off to the right so I give him a baaaah! he stood broad side on and Doug's 22-250 bark out around the valleys telling everything around to head for cover.

Light off and start calling again then sit quiet for a minute and call again, lamp on another fox coming in the opposite direction. I checked to make sure it was spotted by all and put the lamp back on, he was on the same line as the first one but another 10 yds further on. Once again Doug's rifle barks into life and leaves ever animal in the area standing in it's own shadow looking to see if the what and where the noise came from.

The valleys here cause the crack to echo so much that you just don't know where the shot has come from, so foxes, rabbits and deer just run but not knowing were to run. No sooner Doug's rifle had spat out the spent case and I was calling again, this time I call for a solid minute and then sit in the dark for a minute, putting the lamp back on and a fox is coming from behind us and coming down over the hill, being on the wrong side for Doug he had to try and shoot it off the shoulder, this one didn't want to keep still. I did get him to hold still for a split second but as Doug squeezed the trigger old Charley ran to the right and is probably still running ;) (Can't get them all mate.)

I tried another call and we sit still for a while now and as I put the lamp on we had another one on the sky line coming in range for Millpool to have him with his .22, but no matter how I tried this one new it was best to stay on the sky line and then as if by magic he was gone into the shadows and away in his own world knowing that he got the better of us and will enjoy the rest of his life, how ever long it maybe ;)

Doug and his two very handsome dog foxes.

dscf0472ec5.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Hi Nigel,

Your writings are getting better and better....

You workin on some sort Literacy Major? ;)

For a lil bit there it didnt feel like I was stuck

to my desk...

308Panther

Well done that Man!!!

lt truly sickens me to see you chaps out havin' fun when my best foxin' ground's tie'd up till christmas and l'm struglin' to get out..... ;)

At least l can get a sharp crack at the doe's next month.... Until then it's reloadin'...reloadin''...reloadin''' And watchin' our lot shite on the Frogs on their own patch ;)

All the best.

Ratwhiskers.

In the last 3 months we have had 43 foxes, I am not sure how many Doug has had but as I don't shoot much he has had the lions share.

It was damp but who cares as long as I am able to get out I couldn't really care if it was pouring down.......I sit in the truck ;):lol:

Ratwhiskers if you can get to Cornwall pard I will take you out.

Guys I am sorry for the long story I just don't see to many folks these days ;) Well not sane ones anyway :P

Hi Nigel :P:lol:

Nice writeup and good shooting too fellas!!! ;) ;)

Shall catch up soon...............

All the very best...............

RAY............................................ :D;)

Archived