.22rim vs Grey Squirrel

kip270

I opened my gun cabinet and it was choices, choices, what should i take out???? It was the .22rims turn as i have not used it for a while.

Squirrels were on the hitlist again.

As i drove up the farm drive there were five squirrels in a small field on my left, so things were looking good. I parked up and got loaded up and slowly headed off, in search for any squirrels mooching about.

The first field has some large beech trees on the edge, so this would be a good spot if there were any about, just then a squirrel started chattering in one of the beech trees, so i stood still and waited for any movement, then another one started calling. I was hoping one of them would make a move and come down to the ground. Then a movement on the ground caught my eye, there was a squirrel at 43 yards, i sat down and set up on my Varmint sticks, and waited for it to sit up, i settled the cross-hairs on it's head and squeezed off my shot "thwack" number one in the bag a perfect head shot.

43yrd22rim.jpg

I carried on along the field and then there was another one at 15 yards, i was on target in a second and number two was added, (was this going to be another good day??) the field next to the drive was my destination as there were a lot of squirrels there. I was getting closer to the fence line when i spotted a squirrel about 120 yards away, but there was not a safe backstop, so i had to backtrack and change my angle of approach, so there would be a good backstop. I got to my vantage point and could just about see the squirrel, so i had to sneak a bit closer to get a better view for a shot, at 35 yards i settled down and waited for it to stand up, it did and number 3 was taken, then to my left i could see another one, but it dissapeared before i could get onto it. I checked the one i just shot and it was dead, so i left it there, and got closer to the fence, then spotted another one, at 48 yards it was a clean kill, i chambered another round and then there was one to my right at 25 yards, "thwack" another one in the bag, then there was another one in between the two i just shot at 40 yards i waited for it to sit up, and when it did i squeezed off my shot and no6 was in the bag. I waited and chambered another round, then there was another one!!! it stopped and no7 was added.

I picked them up and headed back the way i came, and i couldn't beleive it, there was another squirrel at 65 yards, i sat down and centered the cross-hairs on it's chest and squeezed off my shot, no8 was in the bag for 8 shots fired.

22rim.jpg

I walked around the pheasent pens and bagged another 3, so a total of 11 for the day for 11 shots fired, the .22rim showing me it deserves to come out of the cabinet too :good: :good:

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

F#@k me kip, this grey squirrel situation is getting out of hand, catch some live ones stick them in a box and post them to me please, my address is ......., actually I suppose its against the law to post live animals these days. Good shoting as always Kip

F#@k me kip, this grey squirrel situation is getting out of hand, catch some live ones stick them in a box and post them to me please, my address is ......., actually I suppose its against the law to post live animals these days. Good shoting as always Kip

;):lol: I know, i have had 32 since sunday morning!!! And there were still loads about ;);)

Archived