A lovely morning

kip270

Hi Guy's,

Well i finished work this morning at 6am, and wasn't in the mood to go to bed. So i got in, changed into my shooting gear and grabbed my CZ Varmint .17hmr, my pot of LAST SNIFF (from the Warrener) my predator enticer, fox calls and ammo and was off.

I headed for the field where i shot the Fox last weekend, as we had seen another set of eyes after i shot that one, i got into position and there was fresh Fox droppings to my right, so i may just get lucky. I put out the enticer and the pot of LAST SNIFF, then started to call using my home made call.

After approx 20-30 minutes, there was no sign of anything (so a real early morning is on the cards), so i slowly gathered everything up, and headed back to the farm.

I spotted a squirrel busy storing away it's winter stash, at about 80-85yard. This was an estimate, i led down put the bi-pod on and waited for the right shot, and while i was waiting i got out the range finder and pinged the squirrel, 75 yards, so all i had to do now was wait for the shot, but with the squirrel being busy, waiting for that one shot seemed to take an age, then it sat up to eat a nut, "whack" i had squeezed off my shot (without really thinking about it) one squirrel in the bag.

75yards17hmr.jpg

The winchester Vmax are very good ;)

I then headed over to another good bit for squirrels and spotted one at 155 yards, so settled down with the rifle on the bi-pod, aimed a little high and squeezed off my shot, but missed to the right, i told myself off for missing then spotted another one at 82 yards, so settled down using my Holland field bag, and waited for the right moment, the squirrel sat up "Thwack" dead on the spot ;) I chambered another round when another one came out of the hedge at 15 yards, "thwack" number three in the bag, again i chambered a round, and then spotted another one :D (squirrels everywhere) This one was at 100 yards, it sat up and was dead in an instant.

82 Yards

82yrd.jpg

15 yards

15yrd.jpg

100 yard

100yrd.jpg

I went down to pick them up turned around and there were five Rambler's heading towards me (slightly off the track), so asked if they knew where they were going, and to ensure they stick to the correct paths(while holding two very DEAD squirrels in my hand :lol:;) ).

Well this was turning out to be a good morning, and it was now 9.30, so i thought i better head home to get some sleep, as i would be back out tonight with the lamp after some rabbits and Fox.

Slowly walking back i was reflecting on the shots i had pulled off, and was smiling to myself knowing that buying this lovely little .17hmr was a very wise move, and was pleased with my shooting too. Then i heard some rustling in the wood(part of my permission) i looked in and spotted a squirrel only 10 yards away, the rifle was in my shoulder and on target in a split second "Thwack" number 5 in the bag ;)

10 yards

10yrd.jpg

Well this was going too well so forget my bed, i wanted to bag some more :lol:

With the bounty of beech nuts Squirrels were everywhere, so i carried on around the fields, and bumped into two more, but they ran off before i really spotted them. I headed for a very good spot at the end of the Farm drive, but only saw one in the Oak tree, so left it there for another day, then i spotted two more approx 140yards away, so i crept up to a vantage point and led down.

IMG00191.jpg

They popped back into the wood, so i ranged where they were, 90 yards, so settled down and waited for there return, using the Holland field bag i waited for about 5 mins, then one came back into the field to stash it's bounty, "Thwack" the .17grain V-Max stopped it in it's tracks.

90yrd.jpg

I spotted another one but missed it (cant be too good now can i)

Well that was my lot i was very happy with the results, and a good bag of Squirrels, so headed back to the Farm ready to head home. I came to a small rise in the field, when i spotted another Squirrel feeding on something on the ground (but not nuts), it was about 170 yards away, so i got down and crawled closer, then when i was within range i led down, bi-pod deployed and got out my rangefinder 124 yards, there was another one too but it ran back to the wood, so i placed the cross-hairs on its chest and squeezed off my shot "Thwack" dead on the spot. I got up and gained a few more yards to give me a better field of view, i was now 111 yards away from the one i just shot, i picked up my bins and scanned where the second one ran to, but couldn't see anything, so looked back to the dead one :lol: the second one was by the dead one eating the same thing the first one i shot was (i have never seen that before), the cross-hairs were on target "Thwack" it slumped at my shot, stone dead at 111 yards.

124 yards

124yrd.jpg

111 yards

111yrd.jpg

The two together, in the same spot as they were shot, the one in front was 124 yards the one behind 111 yards ;)

IMG00196.jpg

A total of 8 squirrels, and if i didn't need some sleep i could of ended up in double figure's ;)

sounds like you had an absolutley brillant morning kip, 8 squirrels! Thats brillant, some very rangey ones too considering all the size of the little buggers, good shooting as always kip. Wish I has some squizzers to shoot, my dad spotted one crossing the road a couple of miles from my house were I have a shoot so its only a matter of time before I run into one.

Guest 308Panther

Nice Shooting Kip....

I did mention the .17 HMR and Squirrels is addictive didnt I?

If you think thats alot of fun....Try 500 yrds and high winds

Listen for the tick of the bullet on the target board.

Very addictive also. :(

Squirrel tails make for good fly tying too...So if you know

a Flyfisher that ties you might make a couple bucks. :lol:

308Panther

Archived